• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Could it be possible...

now, i've always thought that the roundhouse kick was the most important kick, but i was told by my sensei last night that the front kick is actually the best. I don't think i agree with this but after he almost put me on my arse a couple of times with a light front kick then i tended not to argue with him. Although i wonder what might have happened if i had done a MT roundhouse into him with my shin.

Any opinions, especially yours Ken.

Angus

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Under a wing chun reasoning it makes sense that a front kick is better than a roundhouse.

Wing chun says the most efficient technique is a straight line because it will reach the target quicker.

Note, there are no roundhouse kicks in wing chun for that matter.

However, A very fast roundhouse kick below the belt is something that enjoy to do.

I find the mia-geri (front kick) very usefull in kumite when your opponent is charging in at you and the mawashi-geri (round-house kick) good for long distance fighters.

I like fainting with a mia-geri and using my flexability to turn it into a mawashi-geri. always catches your opponent off guard!!! :karate:

Oss

"In combat know the enemys rhythm, use a rhythm he cannot anticipate, upset his rhythm, and win." Miyamoto Musashi (1584-1645)

Oss!

Chris Pullan.

1st Dan Shotokan Karate. (KUGB)

The front kick is very easy to defend.. it comes in a linear path so it is easily deflected off-target. Now a good Muay Thai round kick is very hard to defend against.. either get out of the way or block it with your own shin/knee are the 2 best methods (there are more but they take very good timing to do). Of course a Karate person will prefer the front kick, it's easy to do, any fool can do it. The round kick takes practice and a little mastery. I think the round kick is the most effective kick in all of martial arts.. it can be used for all occasions.

If you watch Muay Thai bouts.. it's very rare that the front kick wins the fight.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

It really doesn't matter if a front kicks is blocked for those of us with really powerful kicks. Mas Oyama once said "If you kick someone kick them hard enough to break whatever they block with."

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky"

-Hendrix

The "Japanese style" front kick isn't very effective but a more"Korean style" kick with proper hip extension can be very effective and is a good setup for a roundhouse. Many instructors think Bruce Lee was one of the greatest martial artists but they don't practice what he preached about hip extension. Without the proper use of the hip kicks are very week.

punch kick shoot pound submitt

It's all in the hips.. it's all in the hips.. it's all in the hips. Hehhe.

It's fairly easy to parry or deflect a straight line attack, but a round attack is hard to parry and easier to block. But.. blocking the Muay Thai round kick hurts.

The front kick can have the power of a freight train, but a simple strike to the side of it will veer it off course.

Both are useful attacks, but I think the Thai kick is more versatile as it usually can't be veer off course, it has be be moved away from or blocked in most cases.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

This may sound like i'm kissing ass or something here Ken but once again i agree with u. I just didn't want to argue with the head honcho of the place. I'l be quitting soon and moving over to the dark side of the force (ie Muay Thai) soon anyway.

Thanx for all the replies peoples. More are welcome.

Angus :karate: :up:

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.