• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is it still OK to train....?

taskpaul

Hi.

Thanks to all those who welcomed me earlier in the week! I have a knee that is suffering from a sprain on the tendon connecting lower leg bone to patella; training helps as long as I don't do a shotokan special low stance right now :) Stretching helps and I'm resting the leg/knee frequently, elevating and icing too (which really helps). The pain has subsided somewhat over the last two days, but is it OK to carry on training do you think until the kneww is better or should I stop altogether and wait?

I've only just come back to martial arts after a long holiday, and don't want to end at the start!

Any advice welcome. Thanks!

Paul

karate-do wa rei ni hajimari, rei ni owaru koto wo wasaruna

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

In my opinion I would concentrate more heavily on the upperbody work until the knee felt better. There is a lot of upper body work that can be done. And depending on how the knee feels let up on the stances.

If you are going to class make sure the instructor knows there is a problem and that you are letting up on the stances because of that.

I went to the doctors yesterday, and he told me that I have some tendonitis in my knee. I have to rest it for two weeks. If it isn't better after that time, I have to go back. He said it felt "grainy" when he moved the tendon, indicating some inflamation.

Thanks for the advice. I'll do what the doctor said whilst working on blocks etc to keep myself "in" the game. Perhaps some mild stretching would also help?

This is a really helpful place to be!!

Thanks again,

Paul

karate-do wa rei ni hajimari, rei ni owaru koto wo wasaruna

"Mild" stretching sounds like a good idea. For me part of expanding my physical horizons involved learning how to listen to my body and know when it was time to back off before what I was doing became destructive. There is a difference in pushing yourself and hurting yourself.

Hey taskpaul (nice to meet you! :) )....

You've done everything "to the book" up to this point!

One thing that I have noticed with students coming back from knee injuries is that they find because of discontinuing training their legs as usual ... they lose leg strength.

One thing you will have to work on, when you return to full training, is to strengthen the quadriceps muscles in the front of the thigh (leg extensions) and the hamstring muscles in the back of the thigh (leg curls). These muscles, particularly the quadriceps, begin to lose strength within 12 hours of a knee injury. These muscles control the knee and should restrengthened.

You can also begin some rehab now by riding a stationary bike for 20 min. Adjust the seat to a high setting so that your range of motion is minimal. Don't put any drag on the bike you simply want to move the knee effortlessly. You may find (and you may not depending on the severity)that you may not be able to pedal all the way around. Just pedal back and forth until you can come over the top. Once you're able to, lower the seat gradually so that you increase the bend in your knee each day until you get back your full range of motion.

As Sai posted.... listen to your body. If you feel pain or major discomfort stop whatever you are doing!

Good Luck to you .... and hope you're back to training 100% very soon!

Yea, give it a rest. And when you are ready to go back to practice make sure you warm up your knee before class even starts.

It's happy hour somewhere in the world.

What I did was "modify" my training. I pulled my hammy (hamstring) last spring. I didn't kick with that leg, and I worked more with blocks, strikes, ect. I also did light stretching, so I wouldn't get "stiff" from the injury. I'd soak in a hot bath, then I'd lightly stretch in the water. I did that for a month. It helped a lot.

Laurie F