• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Forms/Kata/Poomse/Sets...How much is too much?

I never thought of it that way. I too like forms and could use the extra practice time. That would be a good concept for my school, forms class to perfect our forms! Hmmmmm.....

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Tang Soo Do dojang used to split everything up evenly. We do forms, at least twice a week. We do self defense twice a week (usually on thursdays and fridays .... they were my fav classes), and sparring and one steps twice a week. Our classes were and hour and fifteen minutes. The extra fifteen minutes was for warming up. Then he split the classes up. We would do forms for 15 minutes to a half hour (depending on how many students and/or ranks). Then we do self defense, and maybe spar at the end of class. Or we do self defense, one steps, and something else. It depended on the instructors mood LOL. But he mixed it up pretty good, so we'd get a chance to do everything twice a week.

Laurie F

Through my expirence, it is best not to devote any classes fully to one thing. I prefer to spend the classes doing a few different things. At my school we have separate specialized classes that are separate from our regular class ie sparring class and kata class. This offers time to pratice specfic things and doesn't mess up normal class, also this is not to say that we do not spar and pratice kata in normal class, we do but this gives us the opertunity to do it on a weekly basis, for a fair amount of time :)

Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo, 17 Years Old 1st kyu Brown Belt in in Goju Ryu Karate-do, & Shodan in Okinawan Kobudo

Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result.

I AM CANADIAN

We do kata almost everyday. Some days more some days less.

Kata is a nice mix of basics and sparring. So you do get both while doing it. However it can not replace either one.

We usually only spar say one class out of 10 with the lower ranks only because they have not picked up enough control and techinques. In other words its to eaisy to get someone hurt before they know what they are doing. In our advanced classes we spar more often but still prob. not as much as we should.

I don't know that I can put % on a breakdown cause it just depends. I will spar more when certin people are not in class and less when they are. Meaing older people don't like to spar as much as younger ones do. I still think Kata is the backbone of karate and it has to be the focus of all training.

Funakoshi set up the pyrmid where basics were the bases, Kata was the middle and sparring was only at the main top. So it takes less but it is the focal point of MA.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

It was so much fun. My dojang has breaking week every year (around march). I want to go to class this morning, since I didn't get my butt outta bed for Judo. It's the last day of breaking.

Laurie F