• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Forms/Kata/Poomse/Sets...How much is too much?

Now, I know half of the forum population is going to scream "YOU CANNOT BECOME A GOOD FIGHTER JUST BY DOING KATAS!"

But then the other half will say "KATAS PERFECT TECHNIQUES AND ARE A CONSTANT NECESSITY!"

Well, now I am curious. How much is too much. If a dojo devotes 4 out of 5 classes a week to Kata practice, are you really learning out to fight and defend yourself?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion, 4 out of 5 would be too much. 2 half classes a week is enough for the number of forms we learn. :)

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

I believe it depends on the amount of forms that you required to perform.

As a 2nd deg. bb I am up to 14 forms. (5 of which are bb forms only)

Usually in my classes (bb class -advanced) we concentrate on just our forms)

When we get together twice a month with regular adult class (all belts) we will go over all forms.

It is basically the responsibility of the student to practice their kata/forms outside of class if they feel they aren't spending enough class time on them.

I suppose you can spend too much time on kata/forms in class also!

I dont know. I usually use forms as a warm up before class on my own and then we spend a part of the end of class to do forms too. There is not really a "forms" class per say as there are sparring classes (2 X's a week). I think more than 2 classes a week devoted entirely to forms wold be too much.

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare

I agree with what has been said before. Frequency should match what is required by the "system" for advancement. But whole classes devoted to forms? Sakes alive!

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

Kata or forms are sets of movements that are pre-determined to practice techniques in simulated battle situations. Antiquated? Maybe. Good way to practice form and technique. Definately. You will get the whole gamut of answers on this Forum site.

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

BKJ1216, kata/forms are a predetermined sequence of moves, (ex. bow, ready pos. look/ turn left, high block, middle punch, slide up, jab, front kick, look over shoulder, turn right, etc...) they're for practicing moves that you have learned in a combined way and for understanding how techniques fit together. that is the diff. from practicing say, front kicks only with kicking shields.

Personally, I wouldn't mind a class that spent most of it's time on kata. Yes, I like learning new techniques and do enjoy sparring (either stand-up or grappling) but through all my training I just loved to do kata. I really don't care if they'll make me a good fighter or not, I enjoy them for what they are and the fact that I get very relaxed while running through them.