• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wheel kick suggestions anyone ?

I am trying to learn how to do the wheel kick but can't seem to do it very well. I am just learning this kick so any suggestions would be great. Should the kicking leg be staight or bent ? How do I gain speed, start and finish the kick ? Thanks for any help.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Practice practice practice. This kick just takes a while to get "right". Talk to an instructor and have them watch your kick. It will probably help more hearing their feed back on what you're doing then anything any of us here can tell you. (we cant see what you're doing)

Good luck, it's a fun and challenging kick.

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare

A wheel kick is simply a hook kick delivered from behind like a back kick. When teaching students I have them turn and look as if they are throwing a back kick; chamber their back kick (so they are now almost in a side position); and then throw a hook kick. Many repetitions delvelop muscle memory and then it can be sped up for power.

A hook kick is basically a side kick with a hook on the end, i.e. the leg is extended to the side of the target and then "hooked" into the target. Finish with your kicking knee inline with the target kinda like the recoil on a roundhouse kick.

Hope this helps.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

I have to disagree with ninjanurse on execution. No offense. I will chalk it up to style differences. At our school, the leg is not to be bent. It should remain straight, and be delivered in a back turning motion, with the leg in the position of an extended sidekick the whole time, connecting with the back of the heel. It should never hook. That would be a back spinning hook kick. Always turn your head first to acquire the target. This helps set up the kick for success. The hardest part is getting your hip to turn over so the leg is in the proper positioning. A lot of people end up throwing a reverse crescent kick the first few times out. Good luck.

Pilsung!

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

I agree Ken. That's how I learned it in Tang Soo Do. I havn't learned in in TKD yet, so I can't comment on differences. I haven't done a wheel kick in so long, I prolly forgot anyways LOL.

Laurie F

I'm sure in different styles, the spinning wheel kick is referred to by other names, as well as executed differently. In my system of Kempo, we tend to always try to execute any spinning type kicks from a chambered position. One it's less telegraphic and the other, it's quicker than kicking from a straight leg position. Just a thought. :brow:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

No offense taken Ken :) , thanks for the support Pacificshore :wink: .

There are many style differences even among schools in the same associations, i.e. WTF, ITF,etc. I am finding geographical differences also!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

With any spinning kicks, such as wheel kicks, straight in back kicks, back hook kicks, back crescents, etc. it's usually helpful to turn your heel first.

Basically, this just involves taking your front foot and twisting it (and your hips) to where the heel is pointed toward your target. The foot is going to turn in the same direction your body will spin. From there, continue to spin your upper body and deliver whatever kick it is, in your case, a wheel kick. Hope that helps! :karate:

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

These are all very helpful, thank you everyone. I have seen it done many different ways. I know landing that heel is always going to be a solid hit but do any of you feel that there is a difference in power and speed between a straight leg vs. a hooked leg ? I am still very slow but so far it is easier to do with a hook but it seems to me that if I could gain some speed, and actually pull it off the right way a straight leg would deliver a more solid hit. Any thoughts ?