• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Abandoning high kicks

the conversation may be old and dead, but "some like them, some don't" is hardly the end of story. It's like saying "some millitaries like having aircraft, some don't", there is still a better and a worse option, regardless of personal opinion.

OTOH, if you do not want to rehash the conversation, I would recommend not posting on the thread.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Please remember that the "pros and cons" to high kicking are not facts, but opinions. Every situation with kicking high/not kicking high is circumstantial. Therefore, any conclusions that can be drawn from these opinions are opinions themselves; no one is right or wrong or better than the other.

With that in mind, you can still give your opinion as to why you think kicking is good/bad. The other members can then decide for themselves whether or not they agree, or have changed their minds because of your explanation.

Thanks! :karate:

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Of course opinions are right or wrong. Of course opinions are better or worse than one another. We are not discussing something subjective like "which food tastes best", we are discussing something one can bear wout statistically. Who is still standing at the end f a fight is objective, not subjective. There most certainly is "better" and "worse"... though it's not always "simple"

Just don't make any "opinions" out to be personal attacks on anyone. Opinions and debate are welcome. Putting someone or an art down is not welcome. Keep it cool ;)

Back to the subject ...... My take on it is this. I love the high kicks. I even do "trick" kicks. But in a real situation, I wouldn't use them. When I spar, I kick to the head. When I do forms, I kick high. When we do step sparring or self defense, I don't. In step sparring, and self defense training, I train like it's for real (stopping sort of killing my partner, that is LOL). But that's just me.

Laurie F

I see this was finally moved... boy was that confusing or what??)

so

OK.... so let me just say (with regards to TKD) there is no way in hell you can abandon high kicks for the mere fact (as Laurie posted) that they are necessary for forms (many of our TKD forms incude high kicks) and to score Mucho points for competition.

And as Ken put it (rather nicely) .... let's not beat the poor dead horse.

We know when to appropriately use the high kick (time & place blahblahblah...)... well, just us black belts that is! :lol: :lol: :lol: (just kidding!!!!)

Edited by KickChick

OTOH, if you do not want to rehash the conversation, I would recommend not posting on the thread.

First off, I just find it silly to open new threads to rehash old conversations.

Second, I'll post on any thread I choose regardless of not wanting to rehash something.

I get kinda tired of people from street oriented fighting styles saying others techniques are ineffective and shouldn't be practiced at all. Head kicks have their merit for certain situations. Especially as finishing techniques.

High kicks are what make TKD, TKD! (as he launches one final head kick at this dead horse.) :wink:

Now, I will say no more, because my temper is starting to get the best of me, and I wouldn't want to say anything unkind. :(

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

Sorry about that KSN Doug. I just don't know what I have done to garner such animosity from JerryLove. If I have offended in some way please let me know (JerryLove). I was merely venting my own personal frustration in my posts. It was not aimed at you specifically. If it was, it would have had your name on it.

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!