• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Tom Kurz book .

daryldolittle

I am think about buying this book as it has seemed to help many peolpe i wonder could any one tell me what is so great about it.

Does it help you to do the splits with a secert method or something?

I have read that the method in this book is the fastest is this true?

Does it teach how to kick high?

I hope kickchick answers this has she loves it so i have read. in the forums

"Best there is, Best there was, Best there ever will be"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hello,

I haven't read the book but I have read some articles by Kurz at this link

http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/get_articles_search.php?word=kurz&Submit=Go%21. Some are specific about splits. Hope this helps in your decision to buy the book. I'm thinking of buying it myself.

G

"If your hand goes forth withhold your temper"

"If your temper goes forth withold your hand"

-Gichin Funakoshi

I`m sorry I can`t help you but I just wanted to add my own question:

How much time does his method take? I mean how many hours a week do you need to put into it to get results?

I`ve heard a lot of good about this book on this forum and I`m keen to give it a try. I just wanted to know how much time I need to put into it.

Kurz's stretching routine is basically to perform a brief 2-3 minute warmup, followed by several sets of dynamic leg raises (front, side and rear), isometric splits, then a cool down. And each morning and evening Kurz suggests you do additional sets of dynamic leg raises to "regulate the nervous tension of the muscles". The essence of his workout, and getting results, he claims are in doing the exercises reasonably, using the correct order, and frequency. Remember it can take up to 3-6 months for you to see any results … if any (although he does offer a refund only from his video if you don’t see a measurable difference in your flexibility.).

The book at times is confusing and rather "scientifically technical" as is Pavel Tsatsouline book “Beyond Stretching” which I would also recommend.

It really IMO deserves a place on your book shelf if you have a desire to achieve your maximum flexibility potential.

How's that for a review?? :wink:

http://www.karateforums.com/books.php

I doubt you guys really need a book to get your flexibility up, I mean I got my flexibility up buy doing my normal stretches I learned in my martial arts classes, and by practicing my kicks and such..Kur is basically going to tell you what most Martial artists do in classes...

Yup :)

Unfortunately most martial art instructors are not properly trained in the proper ways of stretching. Take for example, a classic martial art stretch, (a form of ballistic stretching) partners execute bouncing shoves to shoulders as you stretch forward. Today most people know that this particular type of stretching is counter productive - it triggers the stretch reflex which then actually causes the muscle to tighten. On a serious note this stretching procedure can rupture discs in the lumbar area of your back while engaging in this practice of pushing someone into a stretch on their shoulders.

Kurz's book does in fact challenge some of the prevailing ma notions on stretching and basically just offers tips on how to evaluate one's stretching potential and how to maximize it.

Nothing wrong in needing that! :wink: