• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What woudl be better, sword or staff?

BKJ1216

kchenault-

I know what you mean about how hard it is to find a Haedong school. I am on th eastcoast and there was a split in Korea between the two federatins and now there are schools popping up everywhere from New York down to the Carolinas. My Master got appointed the east coast representative for the International federation (Original before the split) He he trying toround up all previous Masters from that Federation in the states to start teaching it again. I will let you know if a master will begin teching in your area.

Choi, Ji Hoon Instructor-

3rd Dan-Tae Kwon Do

3rd Dan Hapkido

International Haedong Gumdo Federation

Kyuk Too Ki (Korean Kickboxing/Streetfighting)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I'd recommend is not practicing w/ your Samurai Sword until you know how to use it. I believe in training with a Bo first, then nunchucks, and start progressing higher (Sai, Kama, Tonfa, etc). I know that you want to learn how to use the sword, so I'd recommend getting a Bokken or Shinai to learn how it works before trying to swing an actual blade around. I'd rather hit myself in the leg w/ a bokken than a sword!

• 3 months later...

truly, the most practical weapon is your body, but a close second I would say is the bo. I have been using bo in personal study after leaving my dojo (personal reasons) and have found that once the basics are learned, the use of the bo becomes second nature. a bo can be a broom, rake, pool cue, etc. a sword, while much more destructive and efficient, is not easily found in everyday things. the study of the katana in this day and age is more of a personal thing, meant to develop one's self. In Goju Ryu, I was started on bo shortly after reaching 8th kyu (3rd degree white belt). If there is a Goju Ryu class near you and you want to get started on bo quickly, go for it. I don't know when other schools start bo training. also, my sensei reccommended the use of a plain dowel rod instead of a laminated bo saying "when are you gonna find a rake that nice?" lol.

Sutsuraitsu J (J. Strait)

USA Goju Ryu 6th kyu green belt,

4 years personal study

Either one could be good, and although a bo is more easily improvised, it's worth considering that an attack can occur in your home where you may well have a katana handy. The bo is definately more easily improvised outside your home, however.

There are numerous cases of bo users defeating sword wielders, but then again, you know what I say about case studies. There's also likely numerous examples where a person trying to defend themselves with a stick-type weapon was sliced and diced.

I think that the sword is overall a superior weapon. A lightweight sword can be quite quick and inflicts much more tangible damage than a bo. A glistening blade is also about 100 times more intimidating than a bo. (You can also shine the sun in people's eyes using a sword.)

I'd say it's a toss up, generally speaking. The bo is more availible but less effective. I'd say go with the sword because it looks cooler. In an actual self-defense situation use a knife, stun baton, pepper spray, tear gas, handgun, or flamethrower. (whichever is legal where you live.)

PS The above arguments are slightly different if you are talking a european sword. A nice bas-tard sword, claymore, or flamberge is probably unilaterally superior to a bo staff. :P

Paladin - A holy beat down in the name of God!

Yeah, I agree practice with a bokken the heavier bokkens are better. A real Katana is not light, it has a definite weight to it. It feels about twice as heavy as a store bought bokken. A really good bokken might cost you up to $60.00. A bo staff on the other hand maybe around $35.00 if it's made good wood. I wouldn't suggest those really light weight Bo's get something that has a little weight to it, it will teach you how move properly and it will clue you if your technique is wrong.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

• 3 weeks later...

don't forget many quarter-staffes (im not sure about Bos) where chained to the bottom of a lake for several months and then seasoned over a fire.

this process basically prematurley petrifed them and made them hard as rock (okay, maybe not THAT hard)

you would be hard pressed to find someone with a level of skill to cut through one of those without making a move so big it left them open (Ie leaping ito the air with your sword above your head inorder to generate more force, a posture that leaves you open for any number of atacks)

personally i think you should start with a Bo. not because they're better or safer, but because (i think) theyre more fun and alot of things you learn on a Bo can be applied to a sword.

If in your journey you encounter God, God will be cut

~Hatori Hanso (sonny chiba)