• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think though it's more of a tradition, which is a good thing, but boxers train for accuracy differently and very effectively. I don't think breaking boards is absolutely necessary for training, it's kind of a novelty.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Absolutely necessary"...no, I don't believe that either. I do think it is more than a novelty, however.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

Hey, if it works for you, great. Just voicing my opinion and I've done it myself in Lima Lama and Karate and it gave me confidence. I guess it physically demonstrates that the strike is correct, but I think there are other ways of training that are historically proven to be just as effective. It's also a great marketing tool at demonstrations, it's very impressive to the spectators and enthusiasts.

I agree King of Fighters, Boxers don't break boards, but they'll knock you out. Edited by Treebranch

... using a heavy bag is a much more effective training method.

Just in case I didn't mention it before, we also use heavy bags. The heavy bags are actually used for day to day training, and there is a breaking section of the test. Breaking is not part of our regular training routine.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

Personally i think that board breaking is usless. They way they hold the boards make it easier to break them and like bruce lee said " boards dont hit back". using a heavy bag is a much more effective training method.

I probably shouldn't even get involved in this because I don't break or have a preference. However, the flawed logic of the statement above weakens the case of the person making the statement. "Boards don't hit back" followed by a recommenation for another object that does not hit back (a bag) is not well thought out.

Additionally I have seen pointed out many times in this thread that the board is NOT used as a training tool, but is a method of testing other training methods for accuracy and power. It is easy to strike a bag as hard as you can to train for power, and it is easy to strike something moderately hard and accurately, but to hit something VERY hard with GREAT accuracy is more difficult. So, it sounds logical that every once in a great while you try to strike something that requires great power and accuracy at the same time to produce the desired result. It is a test that gauges the efficiency of your training and influences future training. Knowing that you are going to have to break a board in a few months may incent the MAist to concentrate more on being powerful AND accurate during everyday training when striking a bag.

And on a side note that is interestingly related. Mauy Thai fighters are considered tough. Even by people who do not train in MT, the MT fighters are acknowledged to be great fighters whose training and conditioning are respected on this site. And the most hard core MT fighters are considered the best and most well conditioned. I have read in many places that this hard core conditioning is made up of whacking their shin bones against hard objects that do not hit back in order to condition them. This behaviour is not frowned upon, but is met with awe and respect. So why then is a Korean fighter so frowned upon for striking a board once every several months just to test their skills. Is this just a case of more Korean art bashing? Why aren't some of you over on the Mauy Thai forum telling them how useless it is for them to use rolling pins on their shins because any MAist can produce a KO kick without using rolling pins on their shins. Or better yet, go to any forum, pick something they do for training and make a case for why it is not necessary, forms would be a good place to start...or try this, "You don't need to train in any martial art at all because the thug down the street can knock you out and he doesn't train in any martial art."

GreenDragon

G r e e n D r a g o n

FOR THE ABSOLUTE HIGHEST QUALITY SUPPLEMENTS...AT THE ABSOLUTE LOWEST PRICE: https://www.trueprotein.com

For an even lower price, use this discount code: CRA857

Courage, above all things, is the first quality of a warrior. - Carl von Clausewitz