• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Anyone know how to control the adreanaline rush

Insanity

Hi,

Shout at them and they'll be too scared to fight???

I was right in my other post about you wasn't I?

You've never been in a fight.

MF

Be good people

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well, I've never been in a real fight myself (which I'm mostly proud of) but just for the fun of it...

I think Bruce Lee in one of his popular books said something about always imagining youself in a situation and defending yourself. He also mentioned the imaginary brawl being something practical. In otherwards friends, your imaginary persona probably shouldn't be doing flip-kicks and Capoeria moves.

In theory this MIGHT be of some use to the question being posed.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

Ironberg,

"In theory this MIGHT be of some use to the question being posed."

As, I think Popper said, humans have evolved to the point where our theories can die in our stead.

Imagining scenarios as realistically as possible is perhaps one of the most powerful weapons availible to the human being. If you fail to imagine, the experience of being in a fight will be utterly novel in every way.

• 2 weeks later...

the only way to control your adrenaline is from actually having it released... this means threatening situations and fighting.

when i first started fighting, i would get bad tunnel vision and feel really heated, i really wouldn't remember much of what i did and wouldn't be able to control myself.. my body would naturally just forget most of the training and take a semi boxing stance and just throw rights and lefts as its natural defense response. after awhile that will fade and your body will just feel strong and alert from the adrenaline but you will be able to maintain your concentration and control yourself.

I've been in quite a few real world physical altercations and I don't think the aim is to "control" the adrenaline rush or mess with it in any way, but you should aim for being able to think clearly without interfering with the adrenaline rush, and use the rush as your ally. The best way (to me) is to try to stimulate an adrenaline rush in your training. Some of the ways I was taught this I don't think can be taught any more, illegal or liability issues etc. For instance, if during training your sifu walked up and slapped you across the face, hard, the purpose is not to hurt or humiliate you but because it is a guarantee to confuse you and get adrenaline flowing, and if you can fight through that with good form, you are better prepared. Similarly, if a student hit a bag with lackluster performance, he might be told that the bag was really Ted Bundy or a serial rapist whoi had defiled a family member, etc..."then come back tomorrow after you think about that and shown us how you hit that bag". Another visualization was the "Death Fight", you imagine an opponent so powerful that you have no chance of surviving, an impossibly powerful human being, or an animal like a Kodiak Bear. You have no chance of surviving, but if you do this one technique with enough power, you can disable it enough so your family who stands behind you can get away. The Shaolin used to imagine fighting the stone statues of warriors that were posted at the gates, and imagined a stone room with walls closing in that they held back from crushing them as a mental/physical exercise, so the visualization idea is not new.

The old Shaolin said that the Tiger stays in the cave, and he comes out of the cave only for one reason (to kill), my sifu had a somewhat updated version of the saying, that your adrenaline was a big dog on a heavy logging chain, who never barked when someone comes in the yard, but smiles and unhooks his own chain when a burglar's hand touches the doorknob.

Hope this gives ideas that enhance your training, good luck.

my tip to you is to train hard, and work up adrenaline while you train, also you never get used to fighting unless you are prepared. To get prepared you must train hard and be confident and have the experiece to back it all up, once you have met these requirements you will notice that you can keep your cool and be relaxed in these situations. Good luck and train hard.

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger