• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

WTF vs ITF vs WIF, does club affiliation matter???

Which is your school affiliated with?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your school affiliated with?

• WTF
    • ITF
    • WIF

I think there is a great advantage to being part of the W.T.F. The W.T.F gives a lot of freedom on what you can teach. They have guidelines and requirements to get your black-belt; however, these guidelines are very minimal. They require you to know how to spar, and learn the tae gueks.

I've been to W.T.F schools, where they don't even practice full contact sparring. They also include weapons, throws, and hap ki do techniques into their system. The school is more like a hap ki do school, but advertised as a W.T.F school.

although i am not an advocate of the W.TF, I believe it would be great to take advantage of the W.T.F because of their minimal requirements and their world-wide reputation. Therefore, I could open up a school with the W.T.F, teach tae geuks, and then teach whatever i want. Why not???

(now, i don't know how strict I.T.F requirements are. Does anyone know?)

Where did you get this "minimum requirements" thing :-? I have a BB from a WTF school and it was harder to get than the BB I got from a shotokan school. Any style/school can incorporate techniques from other styles into their system wether they are TKD (WTF/ITF), karate, jujitsu, etc. That doesn't make them any less of a school/style nor does it diminish their requirements for BB. Maybe you should visit a few more TKD schools?

No offense but I think you are being a bit narrowminded :bigwink:

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NinjaNurse. I have visited a lot of W.T.F schools to know that each school can differ vastly from each other in terms of what they require for each belt, yet the tae gueks are always a requirement for each belt.

I am speaking from the perspective of an instructor, opening up a martial arts school. I'm sure some W.T.F schools add additional requirements into their system; however, the World Tae kwon do Federation/Kukkiwon ONLY requires underbelts to know how to spar, and learn the tae guek for their belt level. The soldiers in the Korean army get their 1st dan in a month, by just learning the 8 tae gueks and by learning how to spar!

As long as instructors teach tae gueks and sparring, instructors have the authority to issue ranks by the W.T.F. This allows a great degree of flexibility for instructors wanting to open up their own school. Instructors will be affliated with the world's #1 tae kwon do organization, and have the flexibility in adding their own techniques and philosophy. You can essentially focus on joint locks, weapons, or grappling, as long the tae gueks are in the curriculum. The flexibility of the W.T.F is one reason why the W.T.F is so popular.

Kinesiologist/Trainer

Black-Belt

the World Tae kwon do Federation/Kukkiwon ONLY requires underbelts to know how to spar, and learn the tae guek for their belt level.

Not bad :lol: In the school i was attending we had to learn the

Taegueks, Palgwes and another set of forms called Chong Bong. In addition to sparring, history, etc.

As an update to a previous post on this thread, i will be visiting and should start attending the school with GM Ro after i return from vacation in April. I'm unfortunately getting my shift changed at work from a 0600-14:30 to a 1400-2300 :kaioken: :kaioken: :kaioken: :kaioken: :kaioken: The day after i return. This should allow me to attend the day class up to 5 days a week if i choose.

I just found out more about my school last night. Seems we do MooDukKwan style. Yippee!! Yippee?! I can't believe I just said that.

Anyway, I am still learning a traditional Korean self defense style of TKD! I am so pleased. It just goes to show how much people change the styles on their own. We do things differently at my new dojang over my old dojang but they are both MDK TKD. Also, my old instructor used his "Master" title freely. My instructors now have the "Master" title, but do not use it because they don't want people getting the wrong idea. Mrs. Booth just received her 6th dan this weekend. Way to go! Now she and her husband are equal rank. It's nice to see high level people that actually teach their students themselves.

Pilsung! 8)

Edited by kchenault

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

KoreanTiger,

I did not know that!!! I came from a WTF affiliated school and we did not even do taeguks! We did Palgwes and other old traditional forms. The history that you supplied is quite interesting and I see your point on this issue-thanks for not taking it personally! :)

8)

"kung yeht"

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

• 4 months later...

To update my last post (I swithched schools since then). My school is the traditional style TKD (TKD MDK). Eventhough we are affiliated with the WTF, we are definitely not sport.

And yes, I can again trace my instuctor all the way back to Hwang Kee. I feel better now LOL.

Laurie F