• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tae Kwon Do has, IMHO, hands down, the most powerful kicks around. If you can control the urge to go flashy, and keep it real, block all you want but my side kick is going to slam your arms just as hard as your ribs. Or a toes back roundhouse for penetrating power.

Indeed. Of course, all those high kicks just build up strength for when you have to let out a much lower kick. I happened to be doing some "free form" self defence in my Jujutsu class on Monday and reacted to a punch with a standard TKD defence. I stepped in and at the same time grabbed the arm and pulled as I kicked to the ribs. The guy I was with just laughed after and commented that if I had put any power into that it would have easily broken a few ribs.

It's from the high kicks.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tae Kwon Do has, IMHO, hands down, the most powerful kicks around. If you can control the urge to go flashy, and keep it real, block all you want but my side kick is going to slam your arms just as hard as your ribs. Or a toes back roundhouse for penetrating power.

Generally when sparring with a TKD person it is quite easy to Kick their front legs to death in that sideways stance..then I wait for that side kick...step back slightly and intead of trying to block it simply redirect it..side step to the dead side and continue to pound pound away :D

I would have to disagree with TKD having the most powerful kick...Capoeria has some pretty crazy kicks..the problem is you actually have to land them on a resisting opponet..

Have you ever sparred with a MT fighter? Just curious.

Edited by TJS

I have never sparred with a MT stylist, but I find some of their techniques useful. Now I say "their techniques" because although other styles may incorporate these techniques, the first time I saw them was in a MT setting. Like using the knee to stop hit an incoming middle kick. It totally confuses and frustrates most TKD practitioners.

-rb said:

-hmmm.

-If you're going to leave out all those fancy aerials then most stand up martial arts have the same kicks.

I have to disagree, TKD has a way of utilizing proper body mechanics to "line up" a kick, which in effect gives it more power.

I enjoy the flashy stuff, that's one reason I take TKD. But, those high kicks really do help develop more control and stopping or penetrating power on your most effective kicks, which tend to be no higher than the waist.

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

I have to disagree, TKD has a way of utilizing proper body mechanics to "line up" a kick, which in effect gives it more power.

Perhaps this is not your intent, but I find this blanket statement to either give TKD too much credit or other martial arts too little. Aside from some variations on hand positions and occasionally the foot, the core kicks from art to art are executed the same.

These are fundemental body mechanics that all arts have preserved.

Let me explain further. Most Karate kicks I have witnessed tend to lean forward leaving the torso exposed, ie...rounhouse is executed withe the legs forming a wide "V" shape with the torso visiblely seen in the center of the "V". TKD kicks should be performed where the body is in a stright line. At least that is how I was taught in Moo Duk Kwan TKD. Just basing this on my own personal experience. :)

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

Same here. I learned that in TSD. But my TKD dojang uses these type of kicks also. On a side note. My TKD school doesn't use much of the arial kicks. High kicks, yes. But I like doing the arial kicks just to say "I can do that." But I wouldn't use them in a sparring or self defense situation. They are just for "flash." That's it ;)

Laurie F