• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Keep with contract or leave? Mcdojo problem

I'd say Stay the two remaining months you have on your contract and then move on to a new School, you say you had 2 hours a week, thats like 8 a month and 16 hours for two, Its not All that much, there are school in which you train like 10 hours a WEEK.

Be patient, stay a little longer, Keep sufering for your mistake so you can learn the lesson right and then, Never make the same mistake of joining to a McDojo, you have no excuse now. lol Good Luck.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading all of your replies I think it's best for me to stick to it for another two months and than go to a better place. Though I feel like im wasting my time, going to TKD even if it's a McDojo must be a lot better than sitting on the couch all day. At least now I know to never sign contracts! It's a good lesson.

thanks

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, for the most essential things are invisible to the eye.

I have one question:

Is there anything lacking in the TRAINING at this dojo? All I've heard so far is that you're bored, it's expensive, and you have a contract. Those can be signs of a McDojo, but only if combined with bad training. Think about it like restaraunts (since that's what we're comparing dojos to). If you go into an expensive restaraunt where the food is great, just really expensive, you're not going to turn around and say "I might as well be at a McDonalds". Why? Because McDonald's serves limp burgers on soggy buns, and have the nerve to charge more than an earthly hamburger should cost. Plus there's hidden fees, like "a filled cookie jar, absolutely free...you just gotta pay for the cookies" (I swear that actually happened to me at a McDonald's the other week).

We should treat dojos the same way. A good dojo is probably going to charge some high prices. Why? Because it can! Depending on the area you're in, $100 a month may even be pretty cheap. I agree, however, that $50 for belt testing is outrageous. Unless your instructor has to bring in and pay instructors to help with the testing, that's just silly. Belts only cost about $2 wholesale (well, it's definitely under $5), and a good school won't even bother to charge you for that.

Anyway, try to think about your training. If that stinks too, then sure, leave. But try to take a good look, and think about it as if you weren't paying for classes. Too many people let that monthly fee cloud their opinion of training quality. They get that "I'm paying HOW MUCH for this??? Well, this isn't my money's worth" and then the quality of training is almost never good enough for them. This is why children are always so happy :) Unless their parents start planting the "my money's worth" gremlin in their heads. It's important to be fiscally wise, and why pay for something you don't enjoy? But sometimes you don't enjoy it because you pay for it.

I'm not assuming that you're like this, but keep it in mind, so as not to let it happen, or you could find it hard to enjoy training again; regardless of whether or not you move on to a different dojo.

Whatever your decision, good luck!

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Good point monkeygirl! Seems to me that rabid hamster is just bored with TKD :o :o :o !! That could never happen?!?!? If you are not enjoying the art, pick a new one that will excite you. If you can't find one that does, then you should probably find a new hobby or pasttime. :)

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

It's your money. You've payed for classes, attend them and then move on :)

Regarding boredom in MA ... it could happen as a result of misjudging and lack of real, objective, goals. Anytime one searches for a MA there are some questions to be asked and answered:

- why MA? Why not basketball or tennis? Do I really feel like doing this?

- again WHY? What are my goals? Can't they be achieved in another way?

- am I going to train regularly or not?

- am I chosing this because I really like it or because I've split with my boy/girl friend and I'm bored to death ... cause if it's the case, maybe a good movie would do you better ...

- and when it comes to the style chosen ... look well, take information (even from this forum), but don't take anything for granted (we are all well intended, but subjective ...). Look for a certain style and again ask yourself if you really want this and if you are OK with all that's in the dojo ...

Thus it's possible to stick with your choise a lot of time :)

And another thing ... If you feel you don't really love MA, than leave. Be fair with yourself ... Go, find something else. It's a world full of possibilities and not everybody must be a martial artists. We can't be all painters or musicians, teachers or doctors ... and sure thing we can't be all karateka.

Guess I went AGAIN on 3 roads :) I just wanted to cover many aspects and I doubt I succeeded. Anyway our moderators would have to do :karate:

$100 per month is steep, but if you are in California that is not uncommon. I ran a school for about 8 years, if you leave then you are just handing over your moneyand making it easyer for the owner and instructors. Ask them to work for your money! Let them know you are not feeling challenged. They cannot address the problem if they do not know there is a problem. You are the customer, and they are in a "service industry". Respectfully be a thorn in thier side!

Yes, there are many schools that just want to collect your money, there are many clubs that dont care about the money, and there are the in-between- Make sure next time you go to a place that will give you a 30 day trail before you sign any long term deal. During that trail, go to as many classes as you can, if they try to limit how many classes you can go to, ask to go to more because you want to make an educated choice. If they have half a brain they will let you do that. If they seem resistant, then move on. If you find a school you like and they want you to sign a contract, ask why. Most will say it is the simplest way to deal with billing.

If you really like the school, after they give thier reasons for the contract, ask if you can have a contract that may be for a year, but with written 30 day notice can give you the option to stop your membership. If they agree to that, make sure it is written clearly, and that you get copy.

If they wont do it, then say goodbye. There are plenty of schools out there unless you live in the sticks. Also dont be affraid to shop the competition, and ask if they will give you a better deal, then the school down the street. You are the consumer, and have the power!

Good luck......sorry so long a message :)

"The more we change, the more we stay the same"

i don't normally reply to posts like this, but there are some special reasons............hee hee........

I have to agree with MonkeyGirl for once (:P ), is it really the training that is the problem, or are you just sick of it.

Ramy also has a good theory about whether you are doing the MAs because thats what you are used to. Join a snooker centre, play some American Pool - thats what I did. I'm no good at it, but I get a massive release from life when I pot those funny looking balls. Far greater than any karate I ever did.

But then, I might get bored of Amercian Pool. Is it then the time to change to 9-Ball Pool, Snooker, or Darts? Get my point?

"You Are Never Given A Dream Without Also Being Given The Power To Make It True. You May Have To Work For It, However"

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner

West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy

2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)

Can you leave before your contract is up without paying the additional $200.00, and does your school charge additional fees if you leave? There is a chain in teh BAltimore area that adds an additional $500-800.000 as a cancellation fee if students leave early, adn trhey are not shy about taking the students to colelctions, garnishing wages, etc...

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!