• breaking has no useful value whatsoever

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never saw any point to breaking. Some peope say it shows how good your technique and power is. Well, that's true. It shows how good your technique and power are against a stationary target that isn't trying to take your head off. Until boards begin to move, dodge, and hit us back, my opinion on breaking will stay the same--Just a way to inflate egos.

True...boards don't strike back (that popular saying of Lee's) but I don't believe he was 'against' breaking I just believe he didn't believe one should focus on a single skill (like kata) and ignore all other facets of your training.

Breaking develops "impact power" an important skill a martial artist cannot acquire through sparring alone.. Breaking develops your confidence. Either you can break or you can't (okay so it's an ego thing -- big deal)...and when you can do it, that "confidence power will be there for you when you need to tap into it.

Do you know that this power doesn't decrease as you age. You do happen to lose a certain amount of your speed, some flexibility(if you don't keep at it) but you don't lose the powet in your striking ability in fact sometimes it increases. The purpose of all that focused impact power is to break bones .. would you rather do that to your sparring partner? I think NOT!

Breaking has been equated to the roadblocks and challenges we face in our life.

If you don't break at first try.... you keep trying. You are not successful until you break the board..... you don't give up!

Believe it or not this skill can be incorporated into your everyday lifewhen you come across a challenge or difficulty

... you inspect it, measure it, focus on it, and hope for an impossible solution, until the problem is resolved.... or "until the board breaks"!

Even though my school doesn't do any breaking, I chose "developing power", because that's what's most important to me right now. If my school DID break boards, I would be concerned with kick breaks. However, I'm still not too wild about breaking boards in any consistent manner, since it mangles your hands up when you get older. I'd like to be able to hold a pencil later in life :)

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

The importance of "conditioning" .... hands & feet!

In order to break boards you must be taught proper hand positioning, and proper alignment of the skeletal structure. You then learn to fully utilize hip rotation to augment the power curve of all kicks and strikes. If the break is done properly you should have minimal if any injury.

Did I mention I'm pretty good with a pencil at my age? :D