• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.... stop being such a devil Ken!!! :D

If a UFC fighter could indeed break someone's skull (or anybone for that matter) with a punch, why wouldn't he? .

I dunno .... beats me! http://mindscraps.com/s/otn/confused/aeh.gif .... maybe you can tell me!

True niel .. at bb level we do a number of breaks tossing board up in air while executing a punch or kick. Harder still having someone other than yourself tossing up the board! :wink:

http://www.rocketsky.net/~mysmilies/otn/angels/littleangel.gif

someone else tossing the board... Eeep... I'm not that far yet... just a red belt holding it by my finger tips and dropping it for a punch and for knife hands or having someone else suspend it for kicks

For the record I wasn't trying to tee off on Stold there, just making a point and wanting to read more of his thoughts

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare

What about suspended breaks where the board is loosely held by the finger tips of one hand or even dropped? Don't seem to remember those boards staying intact after they were hit...

Well, if you can genuinely do those things with 4 boards or even a brick I am impressed. But hell even I can toss a single board in the air and break it. I was referring more to the people that break multiple bricks, as it would need to be as strong as someone's skull.

I dunno .... beats me! .... maybe you can tell me!

Er, I was going to say cause it's not possible--

Breaking can help you determine if you have learned the proper technique. Breaking actually does NOT teach anything(that is your instructors job).

As far as breaking skulls are concerned, the reason you do not see it happening is not because of the lack of technique in the UFC(some of the ufc combatants are quite skilled), but instead because the human skull is the hardest bone in the human body. Even those of us that can break multiple bricks can not deliver a strike that will break a skull.

I believe that breaking is usefull, but I think that one should not assume that just because you can break a board that you can also break an opponents bone. I think that assuming that could be very dangerous.

Robert

As far as breaking skulls are concerned, the reason you do not see it happening is not because of the lack of technique in the UFC(some of the ufc combatants are quite skilled), but instead because the human skull is the hardest bone in the human body. Even those of us that can break multiple bricks can not deliver a strike that will break a skull.

Robert

Not only is the scull highly dense, but it's curvature enforces is like a small arch bridge. If the scull was a much flatter object like a brick it probably would be much easier to break.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

Hm.....

I''ve seen several collar bones broken in TKD sparring.... And a jaw with a spinning hook kick. These were in supposedly "controlled" situations, with padding, etc. Imagine if the oeple in these situations were *trying* to inflict bodily harm (I'd like to note that two of the collar bones I've seen broken were at the green belt level. *shudders*)

As for the sternum, I took a large amount of blunt force to the sternum in class the other day (I tripped up my sparring partner, and she fell to one knee, which was conveniently placed on my sternum at the moment). She's about 135-150 range... and falling, so a decent amount of force. It hurt. A lot. For several days. I do admit to being female, and therefore having slightly more padding in the region than some males. I've also taken a flying side to the ribs (I tore cartilage). Generally speaking, your ribs are designed to be flexible - if they weren't, you'd not be able to inhale. Therefore, they can take a bit of a beating.

Meiou Ikarino "The Wrath of the Dark King"

Meiou Ikarino: "The Wrath of the Dark King"

Purple Belt in Tae Kwon Do (Testing shortly, mehopes)

19 Years Old/Female

I will not flirt with black belts.... I will not flirt with black belts.... I will not..... ah, what the heck :P