• breaking has no useful value whatsoever

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of the above. Breaking is a good way of developing all of these areas. Technique not right? Board may not break but you striking appendage might. Poor control? Hurt the holder and yourself. Nothing like breaking a hard object to boost ones self esteem. Not enough power? board may not break, even with proper technique. I have seen it all before, many times. 8)

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

All of the above... and then some.

I love how Mr. Wesler explains the "art of breaking" on his web site,

" Breaking is a tangible means of measuring development of skill and power. You literally set up an obstacle for yourself and then smash through it. As you develop, you set up stronger obstacles and must raise yourself to higher levels of skill. What is at first impossible becomes easy. Apply this to all areas of your training and you will persevere until success."

I mean where is the debate :-?

Breaking has always been an integral part of my training since day one... (as you can see on my school's web site) .... we break patio blocks, ice slabs, flaming boards, and set up intricate multiple break tecniques.

Breaking is about power IMO....

No more no less. To hit with power means to hit with speed and not pull your punch. At some point we need to learn what it is like to hit something without pads and not pull our punch or kick.

With that said we don't do much breaking in Shotokan.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Breaking boards is a good way of checking your progress periodically. I had to perform a spinning side kick to a board last month at the end of our testing. My knee was crap after testing for about an hour and a half and the instructor knew it. I set up the board holder and I nailed that sucker (the board) perfectly. I don't think I really hit it that hard. Everyone said it was my technique that blew it apart. I agree. Well, maybe there was a little luck involved too, but...

It's happy hour somewhere in the world.

I think it's all the above. Specially technique ..... and it's sssooooooo much fun :D Anyways, I like breaking because it does help me improve my technique. If your technique isn't good, you'll just bounce off the board. It's helps me to "center" my power, too. I think it is a useful training tool (some might argue, but just think about it ;) ).

Laurie F