• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How hard is it to break three boards at once?

wow. I'm never holding for the low belt tests again. I like my fingers way too much.

Once in my doe-chang we had a guy fail a break, hitting it real weird. You know that little bit of webbed skin you've got between you fingers? Well, I guess there was a piece of wood coming off the edges, cause a guy got a huge ole splinter clear through that. Scary part was I was holdin the other end of the board. Board-holding is the most dangerous, most complex technique of all!

Might as well take my advice--I don't use it anymore.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't feel bad, the first board I broke some 10 years ago, I ripped the hide off the back of my knuckle for a good 1" and a half....it was not pretty...(not to mention the time it took the heal.)

wow. I'm never holding for the low belt tests again. I like my fingers way too much.

Once in my doe-chang we had a guy fail a break, hitting it real weird. You know that little bit of webbed skin you've got between you fingers? Well, I guess there was a piece of wood coming off the edges, cause a guy got a huge ole splinter clear through that. Scary part was I was holdin the other end of the board. Board-holding is the most dangerous, most complex technique of all!

---

You can run....

...but why die tired?

Actually now that I think about it, I held for someone's blackbelt test, and got my fingers mashed pretty good.

I still prefer human holders to board holder though....it just comes with the territory if you're going to break.

I did get the ol' kick to the fingers ...... ouch. But it was by lower rankers or kids. I never saw anything like Kickchick mentioned, though. Makes me wanna get a one of those holder thingies, too. eeeekkkkkk

---

You can run....

...but why die tired?

Doens't matter either way for me. Smashed fingers only hurt for a little while. But, a broken finger wouldn't be a good thing. Ouch!

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

I have to say that it does happen very rarely and only with beginners (and then it is usually only one board and not that powerful of a kick) ... a mere stinging pain in the fingers. It helps to have the student "line up" their kick several times to be sure the board is held at the correct height and that they are positioned far or close enough to the board.

It is truly a "fluke" when an occurence such as I described does happen .... but keep in mind that it could happen.

Pain? What pain? I don't feel any pain!

Unless you count the fact that I smashed someone's finger at our break-a-thon. Spinning wheel kick smashed the board, his finger and my heel and it didn't break. That kinda hurt. Somethin's gotta give. Unfortunately it was our flesh and not the wood.

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!