• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How hard is it to break three boards at once?

Just curious to see if any other schools use a board holder such as ours for multiple breaks....

http://www.aitkd.com/2/gallery2.htm

:D OH BTW ... nice pic Ken!!!!

Thank you very much, uh...but which one? I put three in there! 8)

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

heehee... :D sorry Ken I only saw the one on the front page until you mentioned you posted more in the album.

I mentioned the board holder because there are three different basic breaking techniques you can use.

A strong support break is against materials placed on solid unyielding objects such as the "power board holder". This is an easier type of break, although if you miss you may hit metal or boards may slip either up or down off the strapping.

A semi-strong support break is board held by one or more people. This is a more difficult break than a strong support break since the breaker has less control over the positioning and movement of the board.

A no support or speed break is the most difficult type of break. (2 of which I needed to do for 2nd dan requirement) In a no support break, the board is held by the fingers of one hand or is thrown in the air and strike is then executed with speed and accuracy otherwise the board is knocked away. Accuracy is important since the object must be struck directly in its center for it to break.

If you have two people holding boards for you (or you plan on holding for another student)you should check to see if:

Arms are locked.. bent arms absorb energy rather than resisting it.

Thumbs held parallel to edges of board. Thumbs vertically placed maybe injured.

Deep stances , leaning forwrd slightly.

Extra holders may brace the holders by pushing on the primary holders backs and/or by holding their forearms from the side.

Each holder should be about the same height and weight.

Holders should be strong enough to hold for the break.

I'm used to holding boards alone. I just hold the board firmly without locking out my arms, get into a deep stance, and turn my head, and close my eyes. So I don't get anything in my eyes .... or flinch. My TKD school makes me hold the boards with another person, and it's so akward for me, since my TSD school didn't do that (unless it was three boards or more).

Laurie F

I've seen more injuries incurred by people holding boards than from the breakers!

I'll never forget my first month taking classes ... two students were holding and the breaker missed and one student severed the tip of his index finger :o ... blood spurted everywhere!!!!

Typically breaks aren't advised for beginners who haven't acquired the necessary control of their technique ... but then again accidents do happen with the more advanced student also.

Yes, there are single up to 4 board manual holders you can purchase to save those "fingertips"! :nod:

The board turns if isn't hit properly and the edge acts just like a knife. I've only seen cuts when multiple boards are held though and then only on that flying side kick I mentioned before. Just glad it wasn't me on either side of that one!

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare