• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How hard is it to break three boards at once?

Thanks Sai, that's what I thought. I just wanted to be sure he wasn't breaking harder woods.

kchenault

While I don't think any old person can walk up off the street and triple break pine boards (consistently), the difficulty is not that high for a person training in martial arts.

I have found hand techniques and regular kicks alot easier than aerial kick breaks.

Headbutt is an easy single break. It appears crude and brutish which you could contrast with your aerial.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy who holds the Guinness record for most boards broken in one minute has broken over 400 boards in a minute using either a knife hand or a hammerfist strike with boards in stacks of five.

For a break a thon I would think that using a break with less flash but more power would be the way to go.

"It takes about the amount of force to break one that it does to break a human rib."

Are you sure about that? Maybe a rib without muscles attatched? It's just from my experience, 1 board can be broken quite easily, whereas I've never broken anyone's rib with any technique. Is it really that easy?

As for untrained people breaking boards - most couldn't without seriously hurting themselves. Especially if the punch with the wrong knuckles, I've seen someone's hand get broken from one board.

One thing you have to keep in mind is that every board is different because they are made from living things (trees). The grain will affect how easily a board will break, and also the moisture. Dryer would will snap like twigs whereas moister boards have more give and can often be very difficult to break.

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

Thanks EVERYONE! I greatly appreciate the input. I'm not after flash, I just know that the jump reverse kick is one of my strongest kicks and I am not too bad at it if I say so myself.(toot, toot) If I can get the wife to take pictures, maybe then I will have something to post in the forum.

Thanks again everybody!

Pilsung!8)

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

Breaking three boards isn't too hard with a good kick and a bit harder with a good punch. I remember at one demonstrations for my TKD club I had to break a pair of boards as quickly as I could. One was set up about solar-plexus height (with the most surface facing towards me) and the other at head height (with the most surface paralell facing to the side).

First kick was a simple front snap kick, then I rotated into a turning kick. It was done very quickly, less than a second or two in total but I didn't hit with the ball of my foot like I was supposed to. I was so worried about speed that I forgot my technique and ended up breaking both boards with my big toe. :lol: :lol:

It was swollen for a week after.

I would use some sort of power saw myself. The AIKI POWER SAW OF DEATH technique. I can cut whole forests down with that one... :lol:

How old fashioned, but oh, you were a TMA guy, right? When I was in the military, we used explosive line. We ran from tree to tree, wrapped the line around each tree once or twice for larger trees, and after all trees were covered, we pushed a button and the line exploded, cutting all the trees neatly and sharply. This is known as "kime" (focus of power) in karate. :brow:

"It takes about the amount of force to break one that it does to break a human rib."

Are you sure about that? Maybe a rib without muscles attatched? It's just from my experience, 1 board can be broken quite easily, whereas I've never broken anyone's rib with any technique. Is it really that easy?

Yes, that statistic is for breaking the bone alone. It does not account for the padding before, and the cushion of oragans behind the bone. However, with a little additional speed, you can easily overcome those. :wink:

For multi-board breaking, I would stick to you most accurate strikes. Spin kicks are great, but if you haven't practiced breaking with them yet, I would use something else. I like the two KickChick gave, plus an axe kick. Palm strike, hammer fist, and a good ol' straight forward power punch are you best bet for hand strikes.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

I broke a (or two) ribs. That was with a well-placed side kick :D

Anyways, my TSD instructor told me (when I broke in my first tourny) that an axe kick is always a "sure" break. I have broke with a fist, but for me that hurt. I also did with a ridge hand, another sure break (just don't lock out your elbow or it will hurt). Doug has good advice. If you are not used to breaking with spinning techniques, stick to a good thrust side kick or something. Stay with techniques that you KNOW you can do ;)

Laurie F

The only time I did three boards it was with a flying side kick. Very fun.

If your knife hand is good try doing that. Set them up like dominos and watch them fly!

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare