• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How hard is it to break three boards at once?

I am participating in a board break-a-thon this coming Saturday. I am breaking 5 boards to help raise money for a TKD scholarship fund for undrprivilaged kids in our area. I would like to attempt 3 boards at once. How hard is it really?

Anyone's thoughts are appreciated. Thanks. 8)

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For you, should be absolutely no problem. If you haven't done multiple board breaking I suggest starting off with a step behind side kick (just a good all round power kick which drives your body weight into the kick) ... also consider a jump front kick.

Let's just say I have personally done many 3-board breaks working on doubling that amount. I needed to do 4 separate 3 board breaks for my fiirst black belt test (2 w/punch and 2 w/kick... a total of 12 boards)

Ken, if you need further tips pm me!

Well, I should have passed my green belt testing from this past weekend, so I will be attempting the jump reverse kick, also affectionately known as the jump spinning back kick. It is one of my favorite kicks for speed and power.

My dojang has a rule that you generally don't use techniques that you have not been taught. That said, I should be taught the kick tomorrow when I am promoted. How about spinning wheel kick? To tuff on the heel? Keep the advice coming folks, I am all ears.

It's also gonna depend on whether or not they want to let me do it.

Thanks Deb for the vote of confidence. How about a ridge hand for a single break? :)

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

Thanks Deb for the vote of confidence. How about a ridge hand for a single break? :)

Yes that is a good choice, so is hammerfist (outside or downward)

Do you also do elbow strikes? (outside of forearm.... hitting with "meatty" part of arm just below elbow)

I say, work with your instructor... he/she knows what you are capable of doing and can offer you tips just by looking at how you are setting up your technique. The key to a successful break is all in the technique and body mechanics. "See" the boards break and most of all YELL/kiap as you strike!

Good luck and congrats on the promotion!! :up:

Palm heel strikes are also good breaking strikes for multiple boards.

Rb when boards are broken they are usually 10x12 1 inch thick pine boards. It takes about the amount of force to break one that it does to break a human rib.

I needed to do 4 separate 3 board breaks for my fiirst black belt test
To prepare in case you're attacked by a shelving unit? ;)

Currently: Kickboxing and variants.

Previously: Karate (Seido, Shotokan, Seidokan), Ju Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Fencing.

Probably pretty hard....I wouldn't know they don't hit back....so I never really got into the board breaking all to much.

I have broken a board, block, board. They had an half inch space in between them though. If you stack on top of each other without space then it is harder to do.

By the way the people who light the bricks on fire...well that does soften the bricks...not all that much though.

I needed to do 4 separate 3 board breaks for my fiirst black belt test
To prepare in case you're attacked by a shelving unit? ;)

:lol: .... and I don't have any use for chainsaws at my home!!!

Seriously though, as Sai touched upon by breaking wood successfully I know that I can just as easily plow through someones ribcage. :brow:

It's a total zen experience....