• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

YMCA Martial Arts programs.

What is everyone's opinion on YMCA Martial Arts programs? No contracts and low fees seem like a good way to go, as long as the instruction is good. Any thoughs?

Welcome to McDojo's! One supersize blackbelt coming right up sir!

At Mcdojo's, your ability to succeed is only limited by the size of your wallet, and we back that up in writing!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm about to join a YMCA to do Judo. I am going to talk with them tomorrow. I like TKD, but I think Judo will help with the grappling, throwing and joint locking area that my TKD school "lacks". I think it will be a good mix.

I'll keep you updated on how it goes :)

Laurie F

I taught at a YMCA for over 2 years. The problem I had was that you don't really have any say over who is in your class. I hated getting a dozen new kids each month and them all leaving the next, only to start over with a new dozen. While the older people in class were always held back by this.

I did not like teaching there. I had little say in my class times and days. Much less the ability to get rid of bad aka MEAN students because the Y wanted me to meet a certin number each month so they could offer the class.

As far as location and price it was great for the students however I felt I gave a lower quality of training while teaching at the YMCA because my hands were tied in reguards to what I could teach because my lack of freedom in class size, and schedule.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I know of a few excellent martial arts programs in YMCAs. One thing I have seen about them is they are certainly not McDojos. Don't be put off by the location. It is no worse than in a shopping mall, or in a dance school. You can find great dojos in the most obscure places. You just have to know where to look.

I just talked with my local YMCA. I'm checkin the class itself out this saturday, and to speak with the instructor. As a non Y member, I'd pay $45 for six weeks. But I plan on joining the Y itself so I can start swimming, too. And members only pay $20 for six weeks :D Woohoooo!!! If I like the class and instructor, I'll be starting Judo on the 15th :D

Laurie F

I've been trying to start a class at the Y, but I can't get a message through to the program director. I like the fact that I don't have to worry about the things rental space brings up.

G95, what are typically the "rules" they have? Do you receive anything, do they charge anything, etc?

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

YMCA and community rec center programs can be very good it all depends on the instructor. For those who truly want to pass on their knowledge with out the overhead of a building they can be an excellant resource.

Some locations are more flexible that others in terms of allow instructors to have more control over thier class enrollment.