• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

On 2001-08-22 12:04, Zaknafein wrote:

Hi, I was just wondering what are good excersises to help develop good balance and agility. I am lacking in both areas, hehehhe.

PS: dunna say stretching for improved agility, cuzz im already workin on that :grin:

When I blew my left knee out, I went to physical therapy and they MADE me stand with my freshly stiched up leg on this 3 foot diameter fiberglass disk with 5 inch diameter dome underneath and off center.....Boy oh boy let me tell you how F__king FUN that was..But I'll tell you it was unbelievable good stuff for balance and agility...I think they sell them at Physical Rehab shops?? Another trick they used to teach us in the dojo was to put a chair in front of you, step up onto it, then do a round house into the open air..that helped too :brow:

Best regards,

Jack Makinson

Again thanks for the tips everyone.

I have a strap with loops on both ends that I use for stretching and I am finding how useful it is for some of these balancing drills.

When I first learned to kick standing up I used my forearm crutches one on each side, gradually switching to just one. I went then to a pair of canes. Then holding just one parallel in front of me.

It takes ongoing work to maintain any good form of balanace. Now I stand in front of the microwave in crane stance while I am waiting for my dinner to finish heating.

Not really McGee many have learned to block with the assistance of padded sticks. Having a friend toss bean bags at you also works.

An instructors bo is also useful in class to really demonstrate to a student that their head block really didn't protect their head. (With the bo in the padded case of course.)

• 3 months later...

What happens during a spar when you get clocked in the head and see stars for a few moments... you usually stop and maybe pull off to te side for a breather. But what if this was a real fight .... your attacker won't be giving you that chance to collect your thoughts and will keep coming at you with more punches. So how do you prepare for this?

This is a real neat drill and reminds me of a kid game we used to play! (so its fun too and you'll get a laugh if you do this drill in class!) This exercise was thought up by a Thai-boxing teacher. You'll need a baseball bat.Hold the bat vertically, with one end on the ground. Touch your forehead to the top of the bat. One end of the bat is on the ground, and your forehead is touching the other end. Now you quickly run around and around the bat while the bat is in the same spot, ... about 10 to 15 times.

As soon as you are done. you drop the bat and immediately start either punching or kicking at a target/heavy bag or a focus glove.

When doing this with kids its just fun to watch them swerve as they run back to the finish line but you are using this activity to simulate getting your brains rattled by a strong punch or kick to your head and then trying to recover.

Spin around the bat for awhile, then see if you

can punch or kick with any accuracy.

KarateForums Sensei

1st dan BlackBelt TKD(ITF)

CardioKickboxing/Fitness Inst.

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-03-27 08:03 ]