• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

kicking power

Ok, besides your abs and lower back :), im curious as to what muscle groups contribute to giving certain kicks power. Lets say for the side kick, roundkick, hook kick, and.. crescent kicks, and spinning back kicks lol :) What i mean is, i would think that for the roundkick, the power comes from the quads mostly, and pulling the kick back is your hamstrings mostly. :) alright thanks guys.

~BladeLee~

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well, quads, hamstrings, glutes for sure. And don't forget the muscles that stretch from your groin to the knees, the ones that pull your legs together, what were they called again?

You know, it's not just matter of quads generating power for the forward movement and hams to pull it back. The antagonists and the side support muscles are needed to contract to stabilize your kick both ways, and also on impact. They must not be weak.

I agree with kchenault.

Kicking muscles have a lot to do with it, but I am a strong believer in technique. You can have all the muscle you want, but if you don't have proper technique (accuracy = speed= power type thing), you couldn't break a one inch board.

Anyways, the hip muscles have a lot to do with power, and the way you use the hip in the kick. I am female, but I can kick harder than some of the guys in class. Not because I have huge muscles, but I always work on technique.

Sorry if it seems like I'm rambling. I'm sick and I just got up from a nap. I couldn't kick an ant right now LOL ...... *need coffee*

Laurie F

Yes i agree with you guys, I didn't mean to ask this question so I could go and train just that part of my legs or anything. I know that the core is the main focus, and that all muscles contribute to the speed and power, but i was just curious if 1 muscle group inparticular took precedence over the others thats all :) thanks

~BladeLee~