• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Gasshuku/Training Camps

For those unfamiliar, "gasshuku" or "training camps" are a pretty common practice in karate, where folks get together for multiple days (usually a weekend, but some last as long as a week) to train extensively with each other. Usually, there are many classes taught by various instructors covering multiple different subjects over the course of the camp. I'm sure this is done in other martial arts, as well, though I'm not sure how common it is. Personally, I find that these events can be a great experience, for a number of reasons, but they can also be disappointing, which is why I wanted to bring it up. Recently, I've been planning a Gasshuku for my organization that will be next summer, I've been invited to many that have been and are about to occur this summer, and I just attended one this past weekend, so the subject is at the forefront of my thoughts.

These events are great opportunities to network and make new friends in the martial arts, because you obviously all know that you have at least one thing in common. You get to workout and cross arms with new people and it's a fun time. The question is--how much do you actually learn? Many of these events are just glorified kata workouts and kihon (basics) practice with big names in your style. It's a chance to get your picture taken with high ranking people and say you trained with them, but how much value are you actually getting?

I'm curious, for those who have attended events like this, did you find the actual content of the events valuable? Did you really learn much? What were your favorite sessions or instructors, and what made them valuable to you? What could have been done better? If you haven't been to an event like this, what do you think would make you want to?

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've done a few things like this in TKD years ago.  It wasn't really a cross-style setup; everyone was TKD, but there were different things broached, so we got to see some different topics.

I like to see different specialties show up in things like this.  As the organizer of this event, perhaps you can have some control over this.  If I were you, see if you can invite specific instructors that have some special stuff they teach to do so in their allotted timeframes.  That way, instead of getting a bunch of instructors teaching the same basics and forms everyone knows, there will be whole bunch of fun and interesting stuff the students get exposed to.

On 9/16/2024 at 9:59 PM, bushido_man96 said:

I've done a few things like this in TKD years ago.  It wasn't really a cross-style setup; everyone was TKD, but there were different things broached, so we got to see some different topics.

I like to see different specialties show up in things like this.  As the organizer of this event, perhaps you can have some control over this.  If I were you, see if you can invite specific instructors that have some special stuff they teach to do so in their allotted timeframes.  That way, instead of getting a bunch of instructors teaching the same basics and forms everyone knows, there will be whole bunch of fun and interesting stuff the students get exposed to.

This sounds a really good idea. Also sounds similar to some of the seminar camps my bjj academy runs: they will usually get a big name person in to take some special classes over a weekend, Saturday and Sunday usually, with the topics announced in advance. Eg we have had Jon Thomas over before to run one on Collar/Sleeve guard over a weekend; Ffion Davies has done one the last couple of years too etc..

Having the 'big name' covering a set topic is really good as you can choose to attend (or otherwise) based on that topic and you get to really drill down into it