• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Lessons used off the mat

What are some of the most useful lessons you have gotten out of martial arts training that were not based on technique?

For me it was probably disciple and respect for authority.  As a young adult I did not have enough of that.  I'd also say the element of self-control.  When I was in Hapkido we were told "self-defense is an extension of self-control," and "we can't control what others do but we can always be in control of ourselves."  I remember in my early 20s being so frustrated when I couldn't get people to do what I wanted.  I would not like how they acted, tried to convince them to do something different, and they often ignored me and said, "I do what I want." Martial Arts helped me learn to accept that I can't control the decisions others make, and I learned to let go, embracing my own free will more. 

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

For me, personally, i would say it is the confidence of knowing you can take a hit etc. Silly as it sounds i can think of multiple times when people have been behaving in a manner they shouldn't and other people have been tolerating it out of worry etc. and i have been confident to speak up and deal with it. I remember my other half telling me once "but you can't say that to them they might hit you" and being nonplussed by my response of "i have been hit plenty of times by bigger people than that who likely know how to hit better" - thankfully there isn't a huge issue with weapons here otherwise would be different!

I have also always thought that they are good for making you aware that appearances can be deceiving - plenty of exceptionally skilled and talented martial artists look like they couldn't hurt a fly - best one i can think of is just look at Mikey Musumeci : looks like a quiet, nerdy guy but is an amazing grappler / submission fighter.

11 hours ago, DarthPenguin said:

For me, personally, i would say it is the confidence of knowing you can take a hit etc. Silly as it sounds i can think of multiple times when people have been behaving in a manner they shouldn't and other people have been tolerating it out of worry etc. and i have been confident to speak up and deal with it. I remember my other half telling me once "but you can't say that to them they might hit you" and being nonplussed by my response of "i have been hit plenty of times by bigger people than that who likely know how to hit better" - thankfully there isn't a huge issue with weapons here otherwise would be different!

I have also always thought that they are good for making you aware that appearances can be deceiving - plenty of exceptionally skilled and talented martial artists look like they couldn't hurt a fly - best one i can think of is just look at Mikey Musumeci : looks like a quiet, nerdy guy but is an amazing grappler / submission fighter.

Makes perfect sense to me.  Good answers. 

Self-control and patience.  Especially from teaching kids.  It's also helped me to see when I need to take a different approach to something someone doesn't seem to be getting.

• Respect 1

I would echo the usuals, like humility, respect, self-control, perseverance. There were times in my career that I wished the meritocracy and seniority structure of the more formal traditional martial arts actually applied in the corporate world.

I would add, though, something I learned when I grew into the JKD and MMA worlds- "Let it Go and Don't Hold Back!"- when it's time to fight, forget self control.

I would say karate taught me about goal setting and incremental progress. It's like an antidote to the instant gratification of so many other things. Being able to grind away at something slowly over time has served me really well.

Since I started training as a kid, I'll also say that karate taught me my left from my right. That's been pretty handy...

• Like 1
  • Respect 1

“Studying karate nowadays is like walking in the dark without a lantern.” Chojun Miyagi (attributed)

https://www.lanterndojo.com/

https://karatenobody.blogspot.com/

On 9/11/2024 at 7:39 PM, ryanryu said:

Since I started training as a kid, I'll also say that karate taught me my left from my right. That's been pretty handy...

This is a very good point. :lol:

• Like 1

On 9/11/2024 at 5:39 PM, ryanryu said:

I would say karate taught me about goal setting and incremental progress. It's like an antidote to the instant gratification of so many other things. Being able to grind away at something slowly over time has served me really well.

"Left foot back.  Your other left foot!" 

1 hour ago, bushido_man96 said:

This is a very good point. :lol:

Definitely!! I have always been good at knowing my left from my right, and it surprises me when someone doesn't... Makes me laugh every time when my wife has to hold up her index finger with her thumb sticking out to see which one is her left hand! 

Ashley Aldworth

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...