• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Training with Jewelry

Most modern dojo/schools visited had very specific rules about jewelry and anything that could get in the way. The unwritten rule was to leave all those items at home, but since there was always people who forgot there was always a safe box to store them for the duration of training. That is also the advantage of training in a place with individual lockers. Some sort of lockers are an essential feature of a basic dojo, I’d say

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I too require no jewelry of any type, and this includes necklaces, with the exception of a wedding ring. Reasons being are that in my time I've seen my share of injuries caused because of the jewelry and necklaces. Better to be safe than sorry.

:)

What about one of those wedding rings women sometimes wear that have a big diamond on it? Seems like that could be a problem. If it is the wedding band, then I can see that being left on, but I've known instructors and students who take it off when training.

Also, what about a tongue ring? Though that seems to have phased out. They were more common about 25 years ago.

I'd definitely want those nose rings out, or any ring with a loop that could get yanked off. Big problem.

I too require no jewelry of any type, and this includes necklaces, with the exception of a wedding ring. Reasons being are that in my time I've seen my share of injuries caused because of the jewelry and necklaces. Better to be safe than sorry.

:)

What about one of those wedding rings women sometimes wear that have a big diamond on it? Seems like that could be a problem. If it is the wedding band, then I can see that being left on, but I've known instructors and students who take it off when training.

Also, what about a tongue ring? Though that seems to have phased out. They were more common about 25 years ago.

I'd definitely want those nose rings out, or any ring with a loop that could get yanked off. Big problem.

I say to everyone especially when it comes to rings, that we have a few reasons as to why we don't allow them on during training:

1. Safety Reasons - you can easily hurt someone

2. You could damage the ring - it was actually shown recently at a Taylor Swift Concert that rings could be easily damaged, so you would need to get it reshaped. OR you could lose one of the gems that is in-laid.

3. Lost Gems - we aren't responsible for that occuring.

In martial arts and other activities that require strength, precision and contact injuries and accidents caused by jewelry or worsened by it are very common. its very easy, for instance, to badly injure hands and fingers with a ring. Especially the ones that have a stone or any other feature that sticks out.

Just imagining how it must feel getting hit with a face full of hardware is enough motivation to remove all jewelry for training. Seeing the results of torn off piercings, ring gashes and nasty cuts or broken fingers is also reason enough. Any one of those injuries is enough to immediately stop a sparring match or most ´real’ situations.