• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Training with Jewelry

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

All dojos that I have been a part of have required rings, bracelets, and watches to come off. If you have studs for earrings, those are fine. Anything dangling needs to be removed. More than a personal safety standpoint, I think this policy is also to protect the jewelry, which someone might have spent a lot of money on or have a sentimental attachment too. Rings make sense, as jams can be common in martial arts. Bracelets can be bents, dangling earrings can be ripped out accidentally during drills or sparring, watches can be broken, etc.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Same here, they usually all have to be removed. The closest to allowing it to be kept on i have ever seen is for people who really couldn't remove it i have seen them be allowed to tape it over a lot but this is not often and can cause issues sparring etc.

Where i have trained even stud earrings wouldn't be allowed though those usually would be permitted to cover with tape.

I can definitely see stud earrings also being a problem. I have my ears gauged and wear silicon spacers so there's no risk of stabbing myself by getting hit in the head.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Personally never heard of a traditional martial arts school allowing any kind of jewelry. Then again, my experience is limited to Okinawan/Japanese schools in those places and other parts of the world.

It makes perfect sense to have this rule if having jewellery increases the chances of accidental injuries or making such injuries worse. There are many jobs/occupations that have a similar rule to keep people safe or as safe as possible from preventable harm.

Same. Years ago, in my first TKD school, a solid wedding band with on rock in it was ok, but every school I've been to since hasn't allowed jewelry for safety reasons. I take my ring off to train.

For us; rings, bracelets, anklets, necklaces etc are to be removed.

Earrings - if their small studs/hoops then they're ok. but if they are large then they have to be removed. Although we do advise students that if they do get pulled/yanked/whatever it is on them when it comes to sparring/self-defence stuff.

We do ask for watches to be removed as well.

Although we do acknowledge with our students that we know that when it comes to self-defence you'll be wearing this stuff. But for the sake of practice and not damaging your items, we remove them.

I require jewelry to be removed, unless it's silicone or some other soft material. Hard jewelry is a hazard to the wearer and others, particularly when you're working at close range the way we do. You don't want to be strangled by your necklace, or get your finger caught in someone else's, nor do you want to have your finger degloved because you wore your wedding band while grappling.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I too require no jewelry of any type, and this includes necklaces, with the exception of a wedding ring. Reasons being are that in my time I've seen my share of injuries caused because of the jewelry and necklaces. Better to be safe than sorry.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

There was no "requirement" to remove jewelry, but a recommendation. Rings can get your fingers hurt. Necklaces can get broken. Bracelet's can hurt yourself or others. Facial jewelry can be a bad idea.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.