• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The controversial memo from the JKA to its members

Shojiko

I'm making this post prior to ready any other comments, so it's just my straight reaction.

Personally, any ultimatum like that rubs me the wrong way. Big red flag. There is definitely something they are trying to control here. And they are definitely exerting an inordinate amount of control over their members here. They sound like they are scared of something. I don't know what the wedge between the two organizations is, but it doesn't appear that the JTK has the same issues.

What I'd like to know is how they intend to find out who attended the seminar?

Big red flag for me.

My thoughts also. Are they afraid you'll switch to the other side?

I think it's a lot of things. Insecurity that a different instructor will have answers they don't. Fear the students will like the other instructor's methods better. Fear the other instructor offers more of something they want (sparring, self-defense).

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
There have been discussions on Reddit and other platforms over the surfacing of this letter dated August 10, 2023, which was addressed to members of the JKA and clearly states that disciplinary action will be taken if any of its members attend a seminar hosted by a group that is not affiliated with the JKA.

"TO:JKA/WF member countries and organizations

Dear representatives

we appreciate your continues support for promoting JKA Karate in the world.

You may have recieved the invitation for the seminars organized by the Japan Traditional Karate Association (JTK) which will be held in Denmark from 1st to 3rd of September and inGermany from 8th to 10th September this year.

We must indicate you all that JKA has nothing to do with JTK. In addition, JKA does not allow participation in their seminars. Therefore, please be aware that attenting those seminars may violate the ethics and Disciplinary regulations.

We would like to ask you to make thhis issue known to your every club, dojo and member.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Seizo Izumaya

Managing Director

JKA HQ "

I'm interested on everyone's opinions on this subject

From my perspective, I can inuderstand why they may not want you attending a seminar run from another organisation. As there may be some confusion in what is being taught.

Obviously I haven't read their Ethics or Disciplinary Actions Manuals, so I can't read more into what the consequences are.

I wouldn't really restrict students from attending seminars, as most seminars i've seen were worthwhile for people attending.