• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Memories of first belt test

My first Karate belt test was five years ago today (June 22). It was a Saturday and I think we stared at noon. The test was about 2.5 hours from what I recall, and I felt worn out at the end. In a way I find the first test with a new instructor to be the most challenging because I have never tested under him/her before. It causes a lot of anxiety. I remember forgetting stuff that we practiced (specifically club defenses) and trying to sneak a peak at others when we were doing drills that I was confused about. I passed but I did not feel confident that I did so well and remember being worried that I was going to fail. When I learned I passed I was more relieved than excited. I slept well that night.

I've always had terrible anxiety before the test. I never sleep well the night before the test and am in a constant state of worry. Did I remember to go over everything? What if I freeze up? What if I get hurt during sparring and can't finish the test? The worries go on and on. Once the test starts I don't notice the anxiety so much, there is no longer a fight or flight option, only fight. But leading up to it is rough, no matter how prepared I am the anxiety is strong, though feeling fully prepared does help curb it a lot.

Karate is not my first art, TKD is. I don't recall my first TKD test but I do remember some of the others and there is always self doubt involved. I have never failed a test but I've always been worried that I would.

I have seen students fail tests because of several reasons, one being that a college girl in TKD had done well on the test but failed to break the board at the end. This led to her failing the entire test and have to try again next month. She broke down and cried.

I also hold rank in Hapkido and Japanese JJ, and every test and every instructor is different, but they all have one thing in common for me. Anxiety.

Anyway, I hope to read some of your thoughts, feelings, and memories from your first belt test in any or all of the styles you have trained.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Boy, my first test was a long time ago. It was in TKD, and I'm pretty sure all I did were the form and the one-step requirements. I don't recall that I did any free sparring at that time, although the club I was into sparred a lot.

I've always been a nervous tester, especially when I was younger. Heck, as a black belt that would get asked to run the floor at testings I would still get nervous (even though I wasn't testing!). However, I got over that one day by just saying to myself that I didn't have to be nervous, I wasn't the one testing. Now I enjoy it and have fun with it.

I still get a little nervous when I test, but not as bad as I used to. I have high expectations of myself, so that contributes to some anxiety, but not nearly as much as it did in the past.

My first class was in October 1964. My first Testing Cycle was 60 years ago this December. That first Testing Cycle was so bad that it was stopped.

It was a failing mess from start to finish. Seems I couldn't do anything right and I couldn't remember anything at all. One fail after another. It wasn't until I placed during the summer tournament in1965 that I got the bug hard.

Next Testing Cycle, the summer of 1965, I finally passed but barely. After that, as they say, is history.

The one thing I learned and that I teach whenever it comes to any Testing Cycle, is that the Testing Cycle will take care of itself. Because the Testing Cycle takes care of itself, there's no reason whatsoever to worry about the outcome. That did take me a bit to understand and believe in that mindset. Pass...Fail...just do your best!!

Nobody, and I mean nobody, gets 100%...ever!!

Nerves can be quite counterproductive, to say the least and through time my nerves settled down to such a point that I had no jumbled nerves whatsoever. How? I train endlessly to Nth degree, I get plenty of sleep the night before, I show up early, I stay focus, and I breathe regularly.

Whatever happens, happens.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Yeah for me i don't remember my first testing cycle / grading really as it was in 1985 but what i do remember is the first time i failed lol. I remember sitting my 4th kyu in shotokan when i was 6 i think and being failed by a very stern looking Japanese sensei. In those days there were a lot more people at karate events (from my distant memory anyway) and i remember being out on my own in the middle of a large sports centre performing kata in front of the examiners table with people watching from the sports centre windows etc (no closed curtains in those days). First one that i failed and probably the only one i actually remember a decent amount from when i was a lot younger!

I take a totally different perspective now: if your instructor is letting you grade then it is because they believe you are already that grade and you are just getting someone else to watch and give you permission to change your belt/change where you stand in the line at the beginning of class. So just go there and perform as you usually do and you should be fine. If you don't pass, and you performed exactly the same as always, then the failure is on your instructor not on you: you should never have been allowed to sit it!

My first belt test was in 1989. I was a senior in high school testing for my kukyu in Tetsuken-Ryu Shorinji Kempo -- it was a small dojo run out of my hometown. I ended up earning gokyu in that style, but I don't remember much of what I learned there. I also learned aiki-jujutsu there (I earned my black belt with them) -- I don't remember all of the techniques, but I remember enough that it's made my study of aikido much smoother. Unfortunately I've had to take a break from aikido, because some of the other practitioners at our school don't have good control and feel the need to crank down on your joints. The last time that happened it took about 3 months for my forearm tendons to feel right again.

My Journey (So Far)

Shuri-Ryu 1996-1997 - Gokyu

Judo 1996-1997 - Yonkyu

Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan

ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

My first Martial Arts class was when I took TKD, I started in September of 2000. I don't recall the date of my first test, but I would guess maybe March 2001.

My first belt test was in 1989. I was a senior in high school testing for my kukyu in Tetsuken-Ryu Shorinji Kempo -- it was a small dojo run out of my hometown. I ended up earning gokyu in that style, but I don't remember much of what I learned there. I also learned aiki-jujutsu there (I earned my black belt with them) -- I don't remember all of the techniques, but I remember enough that it's made my study of aikido much smoother. Unfortunately I've had to take a break from aikido, because some of the other practitioners at our school don't have good control and feel the need to crank down on your joints. The last time that happened it took about 3 months for my forearm tendons to feel right again.

Ouch, that doesn't sound good about the lack of control at the Aikido class! Isn't the Sensei aware of it? Have a feeling it must be pretty bad for you to be unwilling to put up with it (anyone who can sustain the Uechi Ryu toe conditioning can handle a little pain!)

My first Karate belt test was five years ago today (June 22). It was a Saturday and I think we stared at noon. The test was about 2.5 hours from what I recall, and I felt worn out at the end. In a way I find the first test with a new instructor to be the most challenging because I have never tested under him/her before. It causes a lot of anxiety. I remember forgetting stuff that we practiced (specifically club defenses) and trying to sneak a peak at others when we were doing drills that I was confused about. I passed but I did not feel confident that I did so well and remember being worried that I was going to fail. When I learned I passed I was more relieved than excited. I slept well that night.

I've always had terrible anxiety before the test. I never sleep well the night before the test and am in a constant state of worry. Did I remember to go over everything? What if I freeze up? What if I get hurt during sparring and can't finish the test? The worries go on and on. Once the test starts I don't notice the anxiety so much, there is no longer a fight or flight option, only fight. But leading up to it is rough, no matter how prepared I am the anxiety is strong, though feeling fully prepared does help curb it a lot.

Karate is not my first art, TKD is. I don't recall my first TKD test but I do remember some of the others and there is always self doubt involved. I have never failed a test but I've always been worried that I would.

I have seen students fail tests because of several reasons, one being that a college girl in TKD had done well on the test but failed to break the board at the end. This led to her failing the entire test and have to try again next month. She broke down and cried.

I also hold rank in Hapkido and Japanese JJ, and every test and every instructor is different, but they all have one thing in common for me. Anxiety.

Anyway, I hope to read some of your thoughts, feelings, and memories from your first belt test in any or all of the styles you have trained.

I don't remember my first test. Sometime in March or |April 1975. Yeah, a bit ago.

I'm sure my test lasted maybe 10-15 minutes. Basic blocks, kicks and punches. Stances of course, and Pinan Shodan. Sensei Miller made corrections and suggestions, and that's it. Done. Pass or fail.

I really, REALLY don't like instructors/systems that feel they have to put a student thru a 2.5 HOUR long test! WHY??? As an instructor, I should know what you know better than you do. I see you in class every day, make corrections, give advice, correct flaws and MAKE YOU BETTER!

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.