• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How to perform a tournament kata in front of judges.

I'd just add that if you do NUNCHAKU, and I have at tournaments, I suggest not hitting yourself in the groin.

Often, if the weapon intentionally touches the ground, you tell the judges so they know not to deduct points from you. I once saw a competitor tell the judges that if he hits himself (in the head, groin, etc.) that this was intentional. It got a good laugh. Of course, he didn't mess up and did just fine.

I suppose if I had said my name was Steve-O I would have gotten extra points for doing it, then a TV contract. Oh well.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I agree with your criteria. The excessive yelling and kihaps/kiais are especially annoying. It shouldn't be a scream, it should come from the gut and be forceful and short.

I agree with your criteria. The excessive yelling and kihaps/kiais are especially annoying. It shouldn't be a scream, it should come from the gut and be forceful and short.

LOL, as much as I hate to admit it......well not really, I guess I just felt it looked better to start that way.....when I was new to the arts I would kihap at the top of my lungs. Loudest in the class. It was a combination of pent-up anger and wanting to look tough. At the time I was impressed with myself. I was a lot younger and a little bit more immature. :D

I do recall preparing for my first tournament and one of the black belts in class told me that "yelling loud can score you points in the forms or weapons because judges think it shows confidence." Or something like that. So, it was encouraged, at least in that example.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, if they were yelling for help, that'd be pretty good. But yeah the screaming can be a little distracting.

Checkout my Insta and my original music: https://www.instagram.com/andrewmurphy1992/

Poems, Stories, other Writings: https://andrewsnotebook6.wordpress.com/

Youtube: @AndrewMilesMurphy