• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How to perform a tournament kata in front of judges.

There needs to be a category on here for Martial Arts Tournaments.

Anyway, a quick background. I've been an Open, all style tournament judge since 1982-ish. I judge Open hand kata, weapons and sparring. I've done breaking but try hard to avoid it because I consider it so much garbage. but that's for another thread.

I thought I'd put down my thoughts on what I've seen in kata performances and what I like, and what I dislike. Feel free to comment.

EMPTY HAND KATA

What the judges are looking for:

1. Good opening presentation. Personally, I'm old but not deaf! I do NOT like being yelled at by a white belt, or black belt master. Tournaments are noisy so speak firmly and clearly so the judges can hear you, but DON'T YELL AT US! State your name, name of your school, instructor and the name of the kata you are going to show us. Wait for confirmation, back to your starting point and begin your kata.

2. Judges may, or may not, know the kata you are doing, so if you screw up JUST KEEP GOING! We're not judging if you do the kata correctly, we're judging how well you do it.

3. Please, do NOT put on a warrior face when doing your kata. It makes me think you're constipated and mad at me about it. Be at peace, be calm, be ready. I'm not impressed by sneers, angry looks , or EXCESSIVE ANGRY YELLING! I am impressed by cool, calm and precise kata.

4. Remember your stances. I see this a lot in black belts especially. Straight legs, movement when their shouldn't be any, etc. karate needs a firm foundation, and that foundation is your stance.

5. Don't do flips, splits or other acrobatics (unless you're doing sports karate). Personally, I will make you down a full point for it because it has no place in a kata.

6. Finish the kata facing the judges, bow and wait to be dismissed.

WEAPONS KATA

1. Same as #1 above, but also present your weapon to the judges for inspection if they'd like to.

2. Use a "real" weapon. No, I don't mean a razor sharp katana, but don't use a toothpick bo/staff. I will knock you down a full point from the start for it.

3. Know the name of you weapon. If you come up before me and tell me you are going to do a "numchuk" kata, I'll take a point off before you even start.

4. Know how to hold and manipulate the weapon properly. I'm constantly amazed at even black belts that haven't a clue how to use a kobudo weapon. If your sensei taught you that, he/she doesn't know what they're doing, so it's not your fault, it's theirs!

5. Limit kicks (it's a weapons kata), easy on the screaming, control your weapon at all times, and a killer for me is watching with a sai, tonfa or kama and they're holding it wrong.

6. This one is my biggest pet peeve. NUNCHAKU!

A. if you hold the weapon close to the string/chain, deduct 1 point, and this is NOT good technique!

B. If you start twirling the weapon like a cheerleaders' baton, just quit and go sit down, because I'll give you the lowest possible score allowed.

OK, comments?

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Something that I try to impress upon every competitor that I am judging is that I don't know their kata. There is 2 reasons for this. The first is that I primarily judge a circuit where most of the competitors are coming from a Korean martial arts background. The second is that, even if we do share a kata (like passai/bassai), it doesn't mean I learned the version that they learned. If they screw up, I won't know unless they react to it.

The only real issue I have is with #6. I have a kata that I do, a version of Chinto from Shobayashi, that ends facing away from the front. Pen pai and pen po, from Shudokan, also don't face the front when they end. I have performed the Chinto in competition and gotten docked for this. In my judging, I don't judge based on where they ended up facing unless it's obvious that they didn't mean to do that. Not all kata face the front at the end. Could I simply pick kata that face the front when I compete? Yes, and I do. But I don't think people should get docked points because they wanted to do the 45 degree version of Chinto.

Weapons kata for me is more difficult to judge. For the lower ranks in the circuit that I judge in, there is no traditional weapon category so all the younger students are doing specialty kata instead which allow flips, tricks, and the like. It's difficult for me to judge because that's not my jam and I find that I'm mostly just trying to figure out which performance that I like the best. However, when it comes to traditional weapons kata, I generally follow the guidelines you set out here. There's a lot more for me to judge when the kata comes from a tradition.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

One thing that we have drilled into us that especially applies to tournaments is, "eyes, feet, hands". LOOK at where your opponent is coming from, MOVE to your new position and ensure you're set in your stance, THEN do your block/strike sequence.

My Journey (So Far)

Shuri-Ryu 1996-1997 - Gokyu

Judo 1996-1997 - Yonkyu

Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan

ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

One thing that we have drilled into us that especially applies to tournaments is, "eyes, feet, hands". LOOK at where your opponent is coming from, MOVE to your new position and ensure you're set in your stance, THEN do your block/strike sequence.

AGREED! That's how I taught also. However, most systems don't teach it that way, so I don't judge using that as a criteria.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

The only real issue I have is with #6. I have a kata that I do, a version of Chinto from Shobayashi, that ends facing away from the front. Pen pai and pen po, from Shudokan, also don't face the front when they end. I have performed the Chinto in competition and gotten docked for this. In my judging, I don't judge based on where they ended up facing unless it's obvious that they didn't mean to do that. Not all kata face the front at the end. Could I simply pick kata that face the front when I compete? Yes, and I do. But I don't think people should get docked points because they wanted to do the 45 degree version of Chinto.

I've run into that a time or two. What I meant was after you finish your kata, face the judges and bow to indicate you are finished. Probably 98% of kata do finish facing the same way as you started, but yes, a few don't.

I'd just add that if you do NUNCHAKU, and I have at tournaments, I suggest not hitting yourself in the groin.

Yeah, that's an automatic TWO point deduction!

I'd just add that if you do NUNCHAKU, and I have at tournaments, I suggest not hitting yourself in the groin.

Often, if the weapon intentionally touches the ground, you tell the judges so they know not to deduct points from you. I once saw a competitor tell the judges that if he hits himself (in the head, groin, etc.) that this was intentional. It got a good laugh. Of course, he didn't mess up and did just fine.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

EMPTY HAND KATA:

1) Execute said technique(s) with power. No Power equals lowest point allowed.

2) Kias's are not supposed to be drawn out. Lowest point allowed.

3) Turn head before turning, if applicable. Lowest point allowed.

WEAPONS KATA:

1) Don't drop the weapon. If you do, ask permission to pick up the weapon, if applicable, and ask permission to continue. Lowest point allowed.

2) It's a weapon, respect it at all times. Carry/hold/etc. said weapon(s) properly. Lowest point allowed.

3) Control said weapon at all times. Lowest point allowed.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!