• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Gi Recommendations (Shotokan)

I've been in karate for slightly over ten years, and I'm in search of a new gi. I started out with a basic Drako gi, which I completely wore out. Then I got a heavier Drako, which was fine for about six months, until I accidentally put it in the dryer, and it shrunk to Barbie size. (Well, not quite, but I gave it to a ten-year-old at our dojo, and it fitted him perfectly). Then I had my favourite gi of all-time: I made it myself out of white canvas that I happened to find at a fabric store. That one lasted a full three years, but I ultimately wore that one out, too. Then I got an Adidas gi. I love the top, but the bottoms don't fit right at all so I've never used them. Then I did another home-made one, but couldn't get the right canvas, so that one's no good.

Recently, I got a Tokaido Tsunami gi. The fit is great, except the way it's made doesn't work for me: the seams ripped the skin off my upper arms and my inner thighs. I left class after the warm-ups, and had multiple bandaids on each arm and leg for the next week. I can't wear that gi again. I was wearing a t-shirt and leggings under at the time, and it STILL wounded me!! Those serged seams seem to be the problem.

So, what do you recommend? I want a good quality canvas gi, but I don't want something that's going to rip my skin off.

Suggestions?

• 1 month later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Meijin gis are very popular at our dojo.

Shuri-Ryu 1996-1997 - Gokyu

Judo 1996-1997 - Yonkyu

Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan

ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

Matayoshi Kobudo 2024-Present - Kukyu

I got a Hirota one that i was extremely pleased with. I do Shotokan at a club in Scotland and most people who have been training for a while either use a Hirota or Shureido one with a couple of people using the better models from Kamae (think they are pretty much UK only really)

• 3 months later...
On 5/15/2024 at 1:36 AM, Highland_Dancer said:

Recently, I got a Tokaido Tsunami gi.

Never, I repeat, never purchase a Tokaido that's not made in Japan ever again.

Those made-in-Pakistan gis that are licensed to use the Tokaido name - the ones sold on Tokaido USA and Tokaido Europe - are only slightly cheaper than the ones made in Japan.  Spend the extra $20-$30 and wait the extra two weeks for the Japanese made Tokaido.

If you want a Japanese brand name at the best possible price, look into Tokyodo (that's the brand I use).  Costs less than Tokaido (even the made-in-Pakistan models), Hirota, Shobu, and Shureido.  The only caveat to Tokyodo is that the pants are baggy like Shureido (which is what I personally prefer anyway).

Edit: I'm referring to Tokyodo International.  There is another "Tokyodo" brand that uses the logo of the letter T with wings.  Don't get that one.  

Edited by KorroddyDude