• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Gi Recommendations (Shotokan)

I've been in karate for slightly over ten years, and I'm in search of a new gi. I started out with a basic Drako gi, which I completely wore out. Then I got a heavier Drako, which was fine for about six months, until I accidentally put it in the dryer, and it shrunk to Barbie size. (Well, not quite, but I gave it to a ten-year-old at our dojo, and it fitted him perfectly). Then I had my favourite gi of all-time: I made it myself out of white canvas that I happened to find at a fabric store. That one lasted a full three years, but I ultimately wore that one out, too. Then I got an Adidas gi. I love the top, but the bottoms don't fit right at all so I've never used them. Then I did another home-made one, but couldn't get the right canvas, so that one's no good.

Recently, I got a Tokaido Tsunami gi. The fit is great, except the way it's made doesn't work for me: the seams ripped the skin off my upper arms and my inner thighs. I left class after the warm-ups, and had multiple bandaids on each arm and leg for the next week. I can't wear that gi again. I was wearing a t-shirt and leggings under at the time, and it STILL wounded me!! Those serged seams seem to be the problem.

So, what do you recommend? I want a good quality canvas gi, but I don't want something that's going to rip my skin off.

Suggestions?

• 1 month later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Meijin gis are very popular at our dojo.

My Journey (So Far)

Shuri-Ryu 1996-1997 - Gokyu

Judo 1996-1997 - Yonkyu

Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan

ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

I got a Hirota one that i was extremely pleased with. I do Shotokan at a club in Scotland and most people who have been training for a while either use a Hirota or Shureido one with a couple of people using the better models from Kamae (think they are pretty much UK only really)