• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

filming yourself teaching

Filming is a great way for improving personal development for someone training alone. Without an instructor present, it is probably the only way to notice and fix things that are very difficult to notice while in action.

It could also be useful in the same way for an instructor to adjust and improve teaching, but doing this might not be as common as people filming their own personal training.

What does everyone think about the idea of an instructor filming all their classes? Do you know or have you ever heard of a martial arts instructor recording as they’re teaching? This assuming it is done with everyone consenting and aware that training sessions are filmed.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've been filming classes for as long as I can remember. The camera doesn't blink, and it reveals quite a lot of things that can be missed by the naked eye. I made it possible for students to view themselves on film, no matter the subject whenever they wanted.

I've caught so many Aha moments. For example. students would come to me asking, "Sensei, can I see last night's kumite session" or "Sensei, can I see last week's Bunkai classes because something's bothering me".

I recorded myself doing all Kata's, empty-hand and weapons, and made them available to the students to watch as often as they wanted to. Not all students have photographic memories.

A lot of times, I'd review a particular class with a student in my office as a review, giving important advice, not a tear-down session, but a one-on-one with a student has proved to make a lot of difference in a student's MA betterment.

Not just for the student's sake, but for mine as well. Watching how I'm teaching and leading classes makes me a better CI. Classes need to be tweaked from time to time because nothing and no one is perfect. As a MAist, I can't fix myself if I don't see for myself that I need some fixing.

Filming classes is a very invaluable tool of information. By my showing that I sincerely invest myself in their MA betterment, the student reinvests into themselves, and that is worth everything.

Proof is on the floor...and...in the filming.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I think the only time I've ever recorded myself teaching was when I had to do so as a requirement to send into ATA Headquarters in preparation for instructor certification. Otherwise, I've never done it for myself.

As with anything, I can see the benefit of doing so. If you choose to record every session, you can go back several years and see how much you've changed as an instructor. That would be interesting more than anything. But watching and taking notes on specific approaches and teaching techniques could be revealing. I do think it's a good idea to let the students know the session is being recorded. In some states, it might be required to avoid legal issues.

Recording classes is also another great way of reviewing just how your instructors are teaching and acting whenever the CI is NOT in-house at the dojo/dojang/etc. The saying that says..."When the cat is away, the mice do play".

I do like the idea of recording classes; so you can review the classes and also for students in attendance can check it out.

Also from experience, when I do record classes it comes in handy if I need to review it when any issues arise (student behaviour, injuries etc).

Although I have 2 Rules when it comes to filming any class:

1) Get consent from ALL students (and guardians of those under 18 yrs)

2) Those training can withdraw their consent at any time. They can still train, but i'll ensure they aren't seen.

Also I do not upload any footage from any class to our facebook or website unless I have further written consent from the people involved.

I do like the idea of recording classes; so you can review the classes and also for students in attendance can check it out.

Also from experience, when I do record classes it comes in handy if I need to review it when any issues arise (student behaviour, injuries etc).

Although I have 2 Rules when it comes to filming any class:

1) Get consent from ALL students (and guardians of those under 18 yrs)

2) Those training can withdraw their consent at any time. They can still train, but i'll ensure they aren't seen.

Also I do not upload any footage from any class to our facebook or website unless I have further written consent from the people involved.

Absolutely especially the bold type above.