• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Managing and training with a-fib

I was recently surprised by a diagnosis of paroxysmal atrial fibrillation. it was picked up when I went in for a colonoscopy, and they hooked an EKG up to me before the procedure.

At first, I wrote it off to being dehydrated and possible side effect of the prep med. But, 2 weeks with a Holter monitor confirmed I was in a-fib 20% of the time.

I have no symptoms, no other risk factors such as overweight or high blood pressure. No recommendations for any lifestyle changes, etc. Just keep doing what I'm doing, keep training. Only thing is, taking a minimal dose of Metoprol, a beta blocker.

I'm told this problem is common, and even young athletes can have it, though the most common cause is age. I'm 61, never had to take any meds before, so this is new to me.

I've always been keen to use diet and exercise to forestall health problems, but this seems like a case where there's not much to do. If anything, I can cut back even more on the small amount of coffee I drink, and be more conservative about the intensity of cardio I do, not push peak heart rate so much.

Who else manages this as part of their training, and what do you do?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I cried my eyes out when I was diagnosed with Afib back in 2016. You can read about my journey with Afib here...

https://www.karateforums.com/renewing-myself-or-at-least-trying-to-vt50082.html

8 years and counting with Afib, I'm still here by the Grace of God.

My cardiologist refused to do another cardiac inversion because there's no use of repeating that procedure over and over. Do it once, and hope it keeps. Mine didn't after 6 months; my Afib returned. I did nothing to cause my Afib to return, it just came back. I lost tons of weight, I stayed very active, and watched my diet. I had to change or die!!

I still take Eliquis twice a day, exercise as much as I can being with me now being disabled, keep a very strict diet, and normal follow-ups with my cardiologist so he can manage my Afib. I just finished a bunch of tests and will be visiting my cardiologist, Dr. John Bowers, today for the results. I just have to live with Afib for the rest of my life.

Whenever I do work out and train, I make sure that I have on my heart rate monitor. Whenever my heart rate hits 180bpm, I sit down and relax until my heart rate drops back down. My BPM at rest is 86, which for me is normal for having Afib.

You'll be fine. You've a cardiologist to manage your Afib. Follow your cardiologist directions and orders to the letter without fail. Eliquis doesn't guarantee that you'll never have a stroke, but it greatly lessens the possibility of having a stroke. Watch your diet and monitor your heart rate while working out and training.

Rely and trust on your cardiologist and follow all of your cardiologists' instructions to the letter.

I'll answer any questions you might have. Just know that I sincerely believe that with your Afib being managed by your cardiologist, that you'll be fine and that you can continue to train and workout.

Afib is NOT a death sentence, just a change of lifestyle. Just remember this, with Afib, things are done in moderation no matter what that might be.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

thanks for the encouragement and personal story :)

I feel fortunate my situation is a very mild one.

There's a student in my club who monitors his HR with a watch, because he says if he goes up too high, he can faint