• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Losing fat.

BonnyBoy

You are about 25 pounds over ideal body weight (IBW is a rough calculation and without knowing your frame size, the calculations for calories could be +/- 10%). Your IBW is approximately 160 pounds.  Desirable BMI for men is 21.9-22.4.  At your actual weight and withyour activity level you need 3960 calories per day to maintain your weight.  For your IBW you need about 3625 calories per day.  For weight loss,you should subtract 500 calories off the 3960 level.  Once you haved reached this goal for weight loss and increases your activity level slightly, you could then follow the adjusted calorie level (3625 if he reaches 160 pounds).  Where you are only 17, I would caution you to approach weight loss carefully as hyou are probably still growing.  In that case, you might want to cut back only 250 calories a day and simply increaseyour activity level.  How often are you doing cardio and what exactly are you counting as cardio?  BMI is a weight:height ratio based on the metric system, the calculation is body weight in kilograms divided by (height in meters)squared.  I can provide you with the calculations for IBW and estimated calorie needs if you would like. 

"A deer admires a lion. But all the members of our family are lions. So it doesn't matter which lion I admire. "

-Rener Gracie-

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm aiming to do cardio 3x a week, which is just running before breakfest at this stage. Two days ago I managed to run for just over 17 minutes, and today I managed just over 12 minutes, due to my legs not fully recovered from the first cardio session and the heat (I get up at around 11am when it's already hot :)). I'm gonna do another 10min session tommorrow, then a 20 min session (hopefully) on Sunday.

Could you give me the formulas that you used to calculate them figures please? Does the IBW take into account my frame zize and muscle? I've got broad shoulders and some muscle underneath this fat that I'd like to show. =)

Many thanks again!

There are always two choices, two paths. One choice is easy and its only reward is it's easy.

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

Some of us could get angry about that.

Not the loosing fat, the fact that it's hot there!!!!!!! It's going to be a blamy 33 F today. :lol: :lol: :lol: I want the sprinnnnnnggggggg!

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

Could you give me the formulas that you used to calculate them figures please

http://www.oxandrin.com/hiv/bmi/bmi.html

"BMI" does have one drawback.... it doesn't account for your weight distribution (broad shoulders etc.....) A 5'10" 220 pound couch potato can have in fact the same BMI as most NFL running backs.

That is why most resently researchers have been using waist size (the ratio of your waist size to yur hip size) to determine your "health risk".

Here is why this this determination is more useful than the BMI:

Fat that pushes your waist out in front is the most dangerous kind of fat that you can have on your body! Exercise fights abdominal fat. So the more stomach fat you have the chances are that you aren't exercising enough.

Now to figure out your waist-hip ration, measure your waist at the narrowest point and yur hips at the widest (around your butt) Divide waist by hips. Your goal is to fall under 0.92

For another BMI calculator .... You can also go to http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi

kickchick, you are fantanstic. As for you, my friend, I will give an more exact way of doing what you have asked. After all, it's what I get paid for.

IBW (ideal body weight) is calculated (the quick and dirty method), for males, by starting with 106 pounds for the first five feet in height and adding 6 pounds per inch over 5 feet (ex: 5’9” male=106 pounds plus 9(6) = 160 pounds). IBW can take into account frame size using the following equation. It doesn’t account for muscle in that a body builder has an excess of muscle and would likely be a good bit over their IBW, but still be lean and fit. It is an estimate and covers a range around the “average” person.

One method for calculating frame size is to use the following equation: r = Height (cm)/Wrist circumference (cm)

For males:

r greater than 10.4 is small

r equal to 9.6-10.4 is medium

r less than 9.6 is small

Height is recorded without shoes on.

Wrist circumference is measured around the bony part of the wrist using a tape measure (in technical terms-measure just distal to the styloid process at the wrist crease on the right arm using tape measure). It sometimes is easier to ask someone else to do this measurement for you.

IBW can be adjusted +10% for large frame size and –10% for small frame size.

BMI (body mass index) is calculates as follows: body weight (kg)/(height in meters)squared

21.9-22.4 is desirable for males.

Calories needs can be calculated using the Harris-Benedict equation to calculate Resting Energy Expenditure (REE):

For men:

REE (kcal)=66.5 + 13.75(weight in kilograms) + 5.0(height in centimeters) – 6.78(age in years)

Then for Estimated Total Energy Expenditure (TEE)…

To the REE add an activity factor (some estimating is necessary here):

Chair bound or bed-bound 1.2(REE)

Seated work with no option of moving around and little or no strenuous leisure activity 1.4-1.5(REE)

Seated work with discretion and requirement to move around but little or no strenuous leisure activity 1.6-1.7(REE)

Standing work (e.g. housework, shop assistant) 1.8-1.9(REE)

Significant amounts of sports or strenuous leisure activity (30-60 minutes four to five times per week) +0.3 (increments above 1.9(REE))

Strenuous work or highly active leisure 2.0-2.4(REE)

The add thermic effect of food (TEF) = 10% of REE plus activity factor

To summarize: TEE=(REE plus activity factor) plus 10%

This is a lot of technical stuff and if any of the calculations don’t make sense, please ask for clarification. I don’t want to insult your intelligence by assuming you can’t read equations (for instance, that a slash mark represents “divided by” in an equation or parenthesis represent “multiplied by”).

How’s that for now?

I will get back to your plan later today if I have time-maybe tomorrow.

Kickchick, I think you are following me. :dodgy:

"A deer admires a lion. But all the members of our family are lions. So it doesn't matter which lion I admire. "

-Rener Gracie-

Wow, you guys have given me a ton of info!

Thanks very much! :)

Mr Heel Hook, I had no problems with the equations.

There are always two choices, two paths. One choice is easy and its only reward is it's easy.

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

kickchick, you are fantanstic. .....Kickchick, I think you are following me. :dodgy:

http://64.207.13.28/mysmilies/otn/confused/ne_nau.gif

.... I am not following you! Many of the members are aware that I began moderating this Health & Fitness Forum at one time (back in the day when each forum was idividually "modderated")

It's just my "home away from home" .... so-to-speak.

You are a source of good info .. (a little techie for me :wink: ) I would still go with the waist to hip ratio myself.

Just bear in mind that being "fat" is determined by measurement of body fat, not merely body weight. People might be over the weight limit for normal standards, but if they are very muscular with low body fat, they are not fat. Others might be normal or underweight, but still have excessive body fat.

There are other methods to finding actual percentage of body fat. These methods include hydrostatic (or underwater) weighing, Dual X-Ray Absorptiometry (DEXA), Bioelectrical Impedance, and Skin Fold Testing. Hydrostatic weighing and DEXA are considered the "gold standards" and are the most accurate in measuring body fat. However, both methods require equipment and can be expensive. Bioelectrical Impedance is portable and easy to use. Its accuracy is within 3-5% of hydrostatic weighing as long as the protocol is followed closely.

Skin fold measurements are inexpensive and a convenient way to measure body fat..... skin fold thickness is measured in different areas, particularly around the triceps, shoulder blades, and hips. This measurement is useful in determining how much weight is due to muscle or fat.

Or, you could do it that way, as in what Kickchick said. What she said will be just fine. Aside from that...I dunno...I still think you are following me. :bigwink:

Mental Note: Say that in ever post we share.

Hope she didn't read that.

-Rener Gracie-

GeH!? :o I hope we helped you out Bonnyboy.

kickchick, are you STILL following me?

-Rener Gracie-