• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Losing fat.

BonnyBoy

Hi,

I have found low carbohydrate diets very effective for losing weight, but unless you maintain a low carb diet, the weight comes back on.

My problem is I believe I have syndrome X, I'm pretty sure, because I have the symptoms and whenever I eat starchy foods I become tired and feel like going to sleep. It's been a major hinderance to my study, as I cannot study if I consume starchy foods, I just don't have the concentration required. Also, I am between 6-12 pounds overweight, and with University soon I'd like to shed this fat and reveal my muscle underneath for a real confidence boost.

I don't believe a low carb diet is a viable option, I'm looking for a way of eating, not something to do for a couple of weeks, then go back to eating whatever I want, whenever I want. Are there any suggestions to how I can eat permanently, and avoid the symptoms of eating carbohydrates so I can study effectively, yet still get enough energy for my training?

Btw, I plan to start training real serious soon, I'm currently doing BJJ 3x a week, possibly 4x, and I'll be adding weight training in 2x a week at least. I'd also like to shed this fat within 30 days exactly!

There are always two choices, two paths. One choice is easy and its only reward is it's easy.

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, keeping in mind that I'm no expert, YMMV, IMHO, etc...

Low carbing can be a viable way of life... it doesn't mean no carbs, just lower. However if you're not into that, consider eliminating certain carbs. ie:

- no sugar (candy, pop/soda, etc)

- no white flour (bread, pasta, rice)

- no potatos

A small amount of (true) whole grain bread, wild rice would be ok. There's plenty of good lowish carb vegetables - brocolli, leafy greens, cauliflower, etc...

I'm on a low carb way of eating right now, but I've got a good 60+ pounds to lose to be nearer my ideal weight.

One thing to keep in mind, if you're doing extremely intense physical activity (intense weight lifting, competition, etc) then you may need to have more carbs to work out effectively.

Also, consider keeping a food journal/log to track what you eat and how it makes you feel. Experiment with removing one thing at a time for a week or two and see how your energy levels do. Don't change more than one variable at a time so that you can easily determine cause and effect.

Shitoryu Itosukai

Tsuruoka Karate

Just so you know, that feeling of tired after eating a lot of starchy foods is not caused by syndrome x. It is common in everyone, and is a common result of eating starchy foods. It is your blood sugar rising and your insulin level rising with it, after this your blood sugar drops and you get very tired (i imagine if you eat them at night, you are very tired the next morning). Don't go thinking your problem is a syndrome you are just like everyone else (physically that is). Carbs for energy my ass.

Just a word of advice since I work in nutrition. Putting yourself on a low carb diet is a bad idea. It's unhealthy for you in several ways. It is true, it will help you lose weight quickly...at first that is. But, if you keep up this newest fad, you with dramatically increase the chance of kidney stones along with several other ugly things. Aside from that, carbs are important to you. (Yes, there are good and bad carbs. But its barely worth keeping track of)

What they do?

To simplify it carbs make it so your body draws out the effects of foods that give you energy. The easiest example is you know how you get a boost from eating a candy bar? Well, with a mix of carbs (remember, this is just an example, don't run out and buy snickers and eat pasta with it) the effect of the candies sugar with stay with you for a much longer amount of time.

Warning, this is a fad and can cause you serious malnutrition problems if you treat it like a religion. Stick to exercise and proper dieting. (Ya know, that basic food group plan people have forgotten)

Consult your doctor, or better yet consult a nutritionist.

"A deer admires a lion. But all the members of our family are lions. So it doesn't matter which lion I admire. "

-Rener Gracie-

Hi BonnyBoy

Since December I have been on a real drive to lose weight. The biggest effect so far has been changing the way I eat. I believe carbs play an important role in our health but we eat them too often and at the wrong time of the day.

I gave up carbs after lunchtime. At first this was really hard. For dinner I would used to have pasta or rice etc. Now I have fruit+veg and some meat (Fish, chicken etc)

For the first 1-2 weeks I would be hungry 1-2hours later but I am over that now. I have a lot more energy, I am losing weight and plan to start Karate next week :)

I look at it this way. If Carbs give us energy, then why eat them at the *end* of the day?

Tancred

With your serious training starting, you may only need a sensible meal plan as the increased exercise may take care of the extra weight. You may consider consulting a nutritionist as Mr. Heel Hook advised.

My best tip is to drink plenty of water and exercise regularly.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

Though most people don't do this...many do. Try not to eat a few hours before you go to bed. Not even a small meal. The problem with it is when you sleep, your metabolism falls inactive to the point were is crashes through the floor landing hard in the basement. It becomes almost totally inactive so you burn almost nothing. Eating small meals through the day is what is best for you. Not that I do this myself because in this fast pace world it's almost impossible to do so. But, if you have the time, that is what would be best for you. Small meals the body will absorb much better and use it to them to their maximum efficiency. Aside from that, people will keep telling you to eat your greens...greens...greens...greens. True, very true, but don't forget your lovely corn. Corn, as well as your greens is riddled with vitamins (Not as much as greens though) but it is very very high in potassium. Something very important for brain function. Another thing it is loaded in is in starch. Starch is very good for your colon, and with the increasing rate in colon cancer (especially for us guys) you just can't go wrong with it. So don't neglect that funny colored veggie, corn.

"A deer admires a lion. But all the members of our family are lions. So it doesn't matter which lion I admire. "

-Rener Gracie-

So far, excellent advise. You can learn a thing or two from a good Nutritionist!

I recently lost 50 lbs by taking into consideration about consuming what type of carbohydrates. I did some research on this issue and what works for me is to ensure that healthy carbs (nothing instant like instant rice, potatoes, etc...) are balanced with your protein intake. Then we can get into good and bad proteins which would be another post. By only lowering your carb intake by which people are not educated correctly about, you can do some serious damage. That is also previously mentioned, and believe me you can read about lots of cases of people loosing their health on the web. Choose your carbs right! Those dark green veggies are great along with those wonderful fruits! Its now a way of life for me (no regrets) and my body now craves them! And for the bad carbs, well I give myself a free day once a week! And even then, I find Im not really abusing that!

Good luck! :D