• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Testing Fees

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Interesting topic, KarateKen; thank you for it.

what price do you think is fair for testing fees

$25

at what point do testing fee costs become excessive and just a rip off

Anything over $25. Seriously, anything over $100.

After all, it's just a test and it's just for rank, and neither should be more important than what they really are. Whenever money dominates Testing Cycles and Rank, the integrity of both is at question. They say you get what you pay for, if that's true, the CI is at question.

Testing Cycles and Rank should be taken very serious across the board. Whenever fees become the priority, then both are no longer a serious matter.

Imho.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I agree with Sensei8. Our mudansha fees are $35 per test for the first 5 ranks and then $45 per test for the last 4 (before black belt). This testing fee includes the grading, certificate, and new belt.

Godan in Ryukyu Kempo

Head of the Shubu Kan Dojo in Watertown, NY

(United Ryukyu Kempo Alliance)

I think our CI charges $50 for kyu tests and $250 for shodan tests. The dan-grade exam fees are set by our organization, I believe.

Also, a testing for a junior dan grade (ie, shodan-sho) will also cover the testing fee for the same adult grade. For our area, those testing fees are pretty much in line with what other MA's in our area charge.

My Journey (So Far)

Shuri-Ryu 1996-1997 - Gokyu

Judo 1996-1997 - Yonkyu

Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan

ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

I am sure the answer will very based on several factors but what price do you think is fair for testing fees and at what point do testing fee costs become excessive and just a rip off?

For me, it was at 1st dan.

I am sure the answer will very based on several factors but what price do you think is fair for testing fees and at what point do testing fee costs become excessive and just a rip off?

You felt you were overcharged when testing for 1st dan?

You felt you were overcharged when testing for 1st dan?

The prices got higher and higher each rank, and by the time I got to first dan, I thought it was just more than necessary. The cost to test for 5th dan is outrageous. The only way it's possible for me is because I set up an escrow with my school where they take an extra $10 per month on my automatic withdrawal and stack it towards that testing fee.

• 2 weeks later...

I charged $20/test for many years. Around the 1990's I quit charging for tests. I paid for the certificates out of my own pocket and the student was responsible for getting their own belt.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.