• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate Dojos in NYC (Queens or Manhattan)?

Baka718

I wanted to study Uechi Ryu after the pandemic but I read a months old post on Reddit which stated that Downtown Dojo, which taught Uechi Ryu closed. So I am trying to see what are my options in only Manhattan and Queens. I am very interested especially in a school with some light to full contact sparring, and focus on the Sanchin Kata. Maybe a school with membership in a larger organization based in Okinawa, like a Naha-Te descendant? Thanks in advance.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Is this dojo https://www.gojukarate.com/ of good repute?

I can't speak as to that dojo specifically, but I do know that Goju-Ryu is definitely rooted in Sanchin (which you mentioned is something you are interested in). I skimmed over their website, and they seem to be saying the right things. If it were me, I'd go there and just watch a few classes. See how the instructor teaches. Look at the advanced (green/brown belt) students -- do their forms and techniques look strong, crisp, and well-controlled? Watch how the instructor(s) - are they giving feedback and corrections to their students? Even advanced students (black belts) need correction and feedback - does the instructor provide it?

Also, talk with the instructor and get a good feel for how he/she runs things. One thing that is important to me -- is the instructor still a student? My CI and his father are 6th and 8th degrees (respectively), and they still periodically train with more senior instructors. If the instructor is still looking to improve and perfect their own craft, then they will constantly look for improvement in their students.

I've now been studying Uechi-Ryu for 5 years, and that's how I met my current Sensei. I wasn't looking to study Uechi-Ryu specifically, but when I met him and watched my son in his classes, he earned my respect. So I decided to train with him myself.

My Journey (So Far)

Shuri-Ryu 1996-1997 - Gokyu

Judo 1996-1997 - Yonkyu

Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan

ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice