• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Help with solo training please

I love the idea of doing my “sacred ritual” each day (example below). The whole session took me about an hour on the dot earlier today and I felt perfect.

- Breathing Exercises

- Warmup Exercises

- All 20 karate kata

- Makiwara

- Stretch and Meditation

Karate Kata:

- Fukyugata 1-3

- Naihanchi 1-3

- Pinan 1-5

- Seisan

- Ananku

- Wankan

- Rohai

- Wanshu

- Passai

- Gojushiho

- Chinto

- Kusanku

Bo Kata: (I’m new)

- Choun No Kon 1-2

If I have a training partner, I love practicing a few Futari Geiko, Yakusoku Kumite, and Judo Randori or freestyle sparring.

Anything you guys think is essential for me to have in a daily routine?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Studies have shown that personal rituals can have beneficial impacts on a person's mental wellbeing, as well as their performance in tasks they associate with the ritual. The example I remember from one study was putting on a suit and nice watch before giving a presentation, and it makes me think of putting on a keikogi and belt before training. While most of my solo training is done in street clothes, I do feel that my karate is better when I "suit up," lol.

As for my own routine, I'm honestly not a very routine person. I tend to do things on whims instead of plans (which drives my wife nuts). Over the course of my day, I will run kata, at random, when I feel like it. I will stop by the kakiya and drill whatever comes to mind. I will hit a bag or makiwara as I pass by, and sometimes stop for a while to work them. I will pick up a chi-ishi or ishi-sashi and do a few exercises when I see them. I find that this approach breaks up the monotony of the day, and keeps me in a more positive mental state.

When I set aside dedicated training time, I will generally warm up with some junbi undo, then work with the chi-ishi, ishi-sashi, or other weights, before running kata. Again, I hardly ever plan to work something specific, so it might be running all of the kata I practice, or it might be spending an hour on one kata. After that, I'll usually hit the bag or makiwara for a while as a cool-down. In a sense, it's a routine because it has a consistent pattern, even though the activities in the pattern change every time.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Power lies within one's hips. Therefore, as a suggestion, I'd add daily bag workouts for kicks and punches as well as other drills to increase hip rotation both external and internal.

Some for example:

*Medicine Ball Variations

*Sledgehammer Slams and Swings

*Stationary Short Stick Drill

Hope this helps a bit. Please keep us informed. Good luck, train hard and train well.

:)

Edited by sensei8

**Proof is on the floor!!!

It sounds like you have it pretty covered. When I am training solo, I tend to focus on a particular kata and try to break down its parts into drills. By isolating those parts, I improve on the kata as a whole without having to do the kata the whole way through a bunch, which can get boring.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/