• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Favorite Karate Kid and Cobra Kai Quotes

There are a lot of great quotes from the show/movies. Here are a few of my favorites.

"Defense comes in many forms." - Chozen

"If an enemy insists on war, remove his ability to wage it." - Chozen

"Everyone thinks their way is the only way. You, my dad, Cobra Kai, the truth is it doesn't matter which way you fight as long as it works." - Robbie Keene

"OK to lose to opponent, must not lose to fear." - Mr. Miyagi

"Answer is only important if you are asking the right question." - Miyagi

"The biggest battle is always the one within." - Daniel Larusso

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The exact wording is different, but in the first movie Mr Miyagi says something like “trust the quality of what you know, not the quantity”. This perfectly describes the idea of karate as it was in pre-war Okinawa. When an expert knew two or three complete forms but in the finest detail.

One that I often use when practicing two-person drills, especially when I'm practicing with a much smaller opponent:

"Best way to block a punch. No be there"

Short version -- if someone much bigger and stronger than you is trying to hit you, getting out of the way is probably your best option.

Shuri-Ryu 1996-1997 - Gokyu

Judo 1996-1997 - Yonkyu

Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan

ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

Matayoshi Kobudo 2024-Present - Kukyu

Nothing is jumping out to me, but I feel like it has to be one of the endearing, if cheesy lines around the bro-friendship between Daniel and Johnny. :)

One that I often use when practicing two-person drills, especially when I'm practicing with a much smaller opponent:

Short version -- if someone much bigger and stronger than you is trying to hit you, getting out of the way is probably your best option.

I feel you on this one Aurik! Have had multiple instances of someone suddenly having a fright when they spar and realise weight classes exist for a reason!

I feel you on this one Aurik! Have had multiple instances of someone suddenly having a fright when they spar and realise weight classes exist for a reason!

Yeah, last night I had to tell that to several people, as we were doing hojo undo bunkai in both classes I attended. I can generally put enough mass behind my strikes to just plow right through anyone's blocks unless they are spot on. So I'd tap then a few times. Then after the round, I'd tell them to get out of the way.

Of course, there's one kid who is probably 16-17, about 6'4", no more than 170 lbs, and just plain FAST. He was keeping ME honest because there was more than one occasion that I'd be looking straight at his first 2 knuckles before I could block or get out of the way.

Shuri-Ryu 1996-1997 - Gokyu

Judo 1996-1997 - Yonkyu

Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan

ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

Matayoshi Kobudo 2024-Present - Kukyu

I have a bunch of favorites! Here are a couple:

“It’s OK to lose to opponent, must not lose to fear.” --Mr. Miyagi

“Either you karate do yes or karate do no. You karate do guess so, then get squished, just like grape.” --Miyagi

"The Best Defense Is More Offense." --Johnny Lawrence

"Fear does not exist in this dojo, does it?

Pain does not exist in this dojo, does it?

Defeat does not exist in this dojo, does it?" --John Kreese

Godan in Ryukyu Kempo

Head of the Shubu Kan Dojo in Watertown, NY

(United Ryukyu Kempo Alliance)

• 3 weeks later...

Daniel: "Maybe that's what we needed to do all those years ago. If we didn't have to stop at three points maybe we would have gotten out of our system."

Johnny: "Yeah maybe I would have. Three points is all you had in you."