• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Official National Hockey League Appreciation Thread

aurik

Thank you so very much for all of the NHL Playoff updates, Ken; I've enjoyed them quite a lot.

:D

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oilers win game four and tie the series at two. Game five in Dallas on Friday night. Could we see both conference finals go seven games?? It is very rare. Off the top of my head I can't recall it ever happening.

OK, I think the last time was 2000, so it is not as rare as the Sabers winning the cup, but still, that is rare.

Ironically, I think that was the last time the Stars made it to the Stanley Cup finals.

How much longer before corporate sponsors get involved and the trophy is renamed "Stanley's Reese's Peanut Butter Cup." And the celebration will be you can only eat Reese's out of the cup.

Gotta ground em up and fill the bowl to the top, then eat em with a spoon.

Party time. :spitlaugh:

Florida goes to NYC and scores twice in the third to win 3-2, taking a 3-2 series lead with a chance to win on home ice and advance Saturday night at 8pm eastern on ABC and ESPN+.

Both Dallas and Edmonton have a chance to take a 3-2 series lead on Friday night. That game can be watched on TNT and TRUTV starting at 830pm eastern.

Historically the team that wins game five in a 2-2 series goes on to win the series 79 percent of the time.

Oilers win in Dallas, 3-1, and are one win away from the finals. They could get that win on home ice Sunday at 8pm eastern on TNT and TRUTV.

Panthers win game 6 2-1 and are in back in the Cup finals. The Oilers can join them with a home win on Sunday, or if Dallas wins game 7 will be Tuesday in Texas. Either way game one of the Stanley Cup Finals will begin on Saturday, June 8.

I'm cheering on the Stars to make it to and win the Stanley Cup

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Posted (edited)

Finals are set. After a chance for both series to go seven, neither did, they both ended in six with the lower seed advancing on home ice. Oilers beat the Stars 2-1 and are in the finals for the first time since 2006 facing the Panthers who were just there last year.

Game one is on Saturday on ABC and ESPN+. Florida will have home ice advantage in the series. Here is the full schedule will all times being 8pm eastern

Game 1 - Oilers @ Panthers Saturday June 8

Game 2 - Oilers @ Panthers Monday June 10

Game 3 - Panthers @ Oilers Thursday June 13

Game 4 - Panthers @ Oilers Saturday June 15

Game 5 - Oilers @ Panthers Tuesday June 18

Game 6 - Panthers @ Oilers Friday June 21

Game 7 - Oilers @ Panthers Monday June 24

Of course, games 5,6, and 7 are only if necessary. All games will air on ABC and ESPN+ in the USA and on the CBC and TVA Sports in Canada.

Edited by KarateKen

I have to say, Dallas just plain didn't show up for game 5 until the last 5 minutes or so. They came back with a vengeance in Game 6, but Edmonton and Skinner just didn't give them any solid second chances.

My Journey (So Far)

Shuri-Ryu 1996-1997 - Gokyu

Judo 1996-1997 - Yonkyu

Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan

ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

Thinking about this series I am going with Florida because of their physical and suffocating defense which will be challenged by the Oilers fantastic offense. I also have questions about the Oilers goaltending as Skinner has been inconsistent, though he put up better numbers against Dallas. I am guessing that the Panthers win this series in six games, though for whatever reason I am suspicious of picking the Oilers to lose a closeout game at home. Panthers do have home ice advantage meaning that games 1,2,5,7 would be in Florida, games 3,4,6, in Edmonton.

Couple of fun facts:

The Oilers had the best record in the Western conference since Jan 1, and second best in the NHL. Florida had the third best record during the same period. The team with the best record since Jan 1? Carolina Hurricanes.

If the Panthers win it would be their first time with the Cup. The franchise started in 1993 and has been to the finals two other years, 1996 and 2023.

If the Oilers win it would be their first title since 1990, and the first time any team from Canada has won the cup since the Canadians did it in 1993. The last team from Canada to make it to the finals? Also the Canadians, though they lost the series to Tampa on July 7, 2021. The COVID pandemic delayed the season which is why that was the first and only time the SCF have been played in July. If the Oilers do win it would be their sixth time lifting the cup.

On a personal note, I have zero rooting interest in this series and might not even be watching much of it, but for those who are excited I hope you enjoy it.