• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Suggestions for how to improve hip flexibility

DarthPenguin

I never used to have problems kicking, either. Then I turned 40....

Hopefully it's not this reason but it could well be! I'm hoping that the fact my 'straight ahead' flexibility for front kicks etc is still not too bad means it isn't that but if it is, then it is what it is! :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Stretch your hip flexors...but carefully. Do your research before you start decide to stretch your hip flexors because the ruling is still out if one should or shouldn't stretch the hip flexors. I'll be 65 in two weeks, and I STILL stretch my hip flexors, but I stretch slow and careful.

The hip flexors are near the top of your thighs which are key to moving your lower body...kicking is of the lower body. There are different types of stretching routines, but once again, I must stress extreme caution when stretching your hip flexors.

In addition to stretching the hip flexors, do some lunge and thigh stretches as well.

Be safe. Good luck.

:)

Thanks for the suggestions! I plan to take it gradually, no need to push to fast and run the risk of injury - at the end of the day this isn't the day job so it makes sense to err on the side of caution. Isn't holding me back training wise either, it is just a preference.