• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hoping to learn self defense near NYS' Capital District

I ended up choosing a closer dojo that isn’t Uechi Ryu, but a dojo from a Seido background that is more self defense oriented. I spoke to one of the teachers for fifteen minutes or so, and discussed what I was hoping to learn. Then I attended a solo intro class, where I learned that there is bunkai even in the “yoi” at the beginning of a kata. I never knew that. I’ve since been to one class a couple days ago, and I really have to work on pushups, as I’m way out of shape! Had a great time training, and am going again tomorrow morning.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I ended up choosing a closer dojo that isn’t Uechi Ryu, but a dojo from a Seido background that is more self defense oriented. I spoke to one of the teachers for fifteen minutes or so, and discussed what I was hoping to learn. Then I attended a solo intro class, where I learned that there is bunkai even in the “yoi” at the beginning of a kata. I never knew that. I’ve since been to one class a couple days ago, and I really have to work on pushups, as I’m way out of shape! Had a great time training, and am going again tomorrow morning.

To be honest, I chose Uechi-Ryu for two reasons: 1) location, (the dojo is about 5 minutes from my house), and 2) the CI -- I had enrolled my son about a year rprior (starting through his after-school care and later through the rec center), and the CI earned my respect, because he still makes a point to train with his instructors several times per year.

I hadn't specifically seen a bunkai for the "yoi" stance for any of our katas, but that doesn't mean there aren't any. The more I train, the more new interpretations I learn for our kata. Train hard and train well!.

My Journey (So Far)

Shuri-Ryu 1996-1997 - Gokyu

Judo 1996-1997 - Yonkyu

Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan

ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice