• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

DarthPenguins Training log of an unfit person!

Thursday 23 May

Judo session

Have had a throat infection last couple of weeks which has kept me out of MA classes (don't think it is fair to come into close contact with people and pass it on). Has abated now so managed to a judo class, yay!

Warm ups

These are a lot harder than BJJ ones for me lol. Plus it shows how bad i am at cartwheels!

Main body of class

We had a full newaza class this week working on Sangaku (triangle chokes). First worked standard choke from on your back then worked it attacking a turtled up opponent. Initially with their hips up to make inserting the leg easier then with them flat on the group grabbing lapels. Also worked using it as a pin.

Then did several rounds of sparring which went smoothly. I'm still working on my cross choke from guard and managed to pull it off several times. Also hit a bow and arrow choke which is another of my favourites and managed the turnover triangle we had been drilling in sparring so i was pleased!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sunday 26 May

Lifting session

Bench Press

20kg x 5

40kg x 5

57.5kg x 3

67.5kg x 3

75kg x 6

Face pulls

20kg x 16

20kg x 16

20kg x 16

Triceps rope pushdowns (superset with cable biceps curls)

20kg x 20

20kg x 20

20kg x 20

20kg x 20

biceps cable curls

20kg x 20

20kg x 20

20kg x 20

20kg x 20

Had to make it quite a short session as needed to take my son out to his rugby session

Tuesday 28 May

Lifting session

Seated overhead press

20kg x 5

25kg x 5

35kg x 10

35kg x 10

35kg x 10

35kg x 10

35kg x 12 (2-3 reps in reserve)

Trap bar deadlift

70kg x 5

80kg x 5

90kg x 5

102.5kg x 5

115kg x 5

Triceps rope pushdowns (suoperset with biceps curls)

45kg x 8

45kg x 8

45kg x 8

Biceps cable curls

45kg x 8

45kg x 8

45kg x 8

Have decided to switch to a new programme as i have noticed myself recently that things keep cropping up and limiting time plus i have been trying lots of new exercises etc. Have decided to switch to using the juggernaut method 2dpw with main accessory being 531 lift. Lets me get main work done quickly if needed (about 30min) but plenty of flexibility to add in some other assistance work if needed and time allows.

This was first session using new routing which is planned in for 18wks roughly!

Wednesday 29 May

Karate Session

Session started with usual warm ups then was ran almost backwards. We began with kumite! Started fist with my grading required jiyu ippon kumite with one of the blackbelts then we moved onto five unstated attacked, then full jiyu kumite.

After this went through several run downs of kata 'grading style' - ie just you on the floor yourself performing the kata.

finished with basics as per the grading requirements.

Was a fun class!

Saturday 1st June

Lifting session

Squat

20kg x 5

40kg x 5

55kg x 10

55kg x 10

55kg x 10

55kg x 10

55kg x 15

Bench press

20kg x 5

40kg x 5

57.5kg x 5

65kg x 5

72.5kg x 5

Pendlay row with fat bar and no belt

40kg x 8

40kg x 8

40kg x 8

Face pull (superset with the pendlay rows)

20kg x 10

20kg x 10

20kg x 10

Triceps rope pushdowns (superset with bicep curls)

20kg x 20

20kg x 20

20kg x 20

Biceps cable curls

20kg x 20

20kg x 20

20kg x 20

Overall good session. More squatting volume than i usually do and feeling it still a few days later!

Monday 3rd June

BJJ Session

Session was mainly on keeping back control, largely taught through the 'games' method

initially worked on aseatbelt grip and keeping that for a minute. If opponent escapes it then reset

Moved onto a double lapel grab from the back. Was really good as worked out a better way of gripping, flare elbows up higher to pull opponents arms out of position and pull lapels wider. MAde it a lot harder for opponent to strip my grips (worked it out after i couldn't get to my opponents gripping hands at all!)

Then moved to getting grips to turtled opponent - initially one arm gripping then two

Finished session off with drilling back take from chair sit, finishing with a submission or pin of choice.

Finished session there as i needed to get back to work! The takeaway was to control opponents head and shoulders for back control - more improtant than the leg hooks

Tuesday 4th June

Lifting Session

Trap Bar Deadlift

70kg x 5

82.5kg x 10

82.5kg x 10

82.5kg x 10

82.5kg x 10

82.5kg x 15

Seated overhead press

20kg x 5

25kg x 5

30kg x 5

37.5kg x 5

42.5kg x 5

47.5kg x 5

Chest cable fly (superset with one hand cable row) weight is per hand

15kg x 10

15kg x 10

15kg x 10

One hand cable row (reps = total of L + R)

30kg x 20

30kg x 20

30kg x 20

Overhead triceps extension (superset with cable biceps curls)

20kg x 20

20kg x 20

20kg x 20

Cable biceps curls

20kg x 20

20kg x 20

20kg x 20

Thursday 6 June

Judo Session

Warm up first which is a lot more intensive that the bjj ones! Will do me good in the long run, though 'windscreen wipers' down the length of three full matted spaces is likely to remain totally evil for the foreseeable future

Class was very Newaza focused today. We initially worked on hip rotation into arm bar position from bottom guard. Then worked a triangle/sangaku from here: stuffing opponents left hand through, turn to your left, put right leg up on shoulder then swing across to complete triangle. Then drilled an armbar from same spot, grip triceps, under leg grip, turn and raise hips then bump them over and finish. Finished with a reverse armbar from guard, trapping the straight arm beside your neck, hip escape out and finish it.

Did a few rounds of newaza rolling too which were good.

Then did some tachiwaza. Was really useful: i started off paired up with the largest guy there (who is a black belt) and who had paired up with me for the groundwork as we are closest in size and he knows i do bjj too. He then very very helpfully returned the favour giving me some really helpful tips on good grips to take as a larger person etc, effortlessly throwing me to show me when i was doing stuff wrong etc. Was really really useful! Did a few rounds of randori where we were allowed to finish on the ground too which was the only reason i stood a slight chance at all with some of them.

Really good class though, enjoyed it a lot :)

Saturday 8th June

BJJ Session

Session was focused a lot on getting grips from the back and maintaining back control. Practiced this via a variety of 'games'. Once done this we had a few rounds of rolling at the end which went well. Managed to land several Ezekiels which i always like and also managed to pull off a Flower sweep which i was wanting to start adding back in, though weirdly i managed it to my 'off side'. Was also pleased with my guard passing which seems to be improving slowly

All in all session went well

Monday 10th June

BJJ session

This session was all on maintaining mount. We worked a lot of games for this too, with goals of separating an arm etc. Was really useful as it showed up i have a massive hole when it comes to separating someones arms if they just ball right up. I usually try to take advantage of them opening up or go for the neck but am pretty shocking it seems at prying an arm free myself!

Really useful as it has given me something to work on that i think will give a lot of benefit going forwards :)