• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

DarthPenguins Training log of an unfit person!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Monday 2 October

Lifting Session

First lifting session in months! Decided to go for a light one just to get back to moving and see how i felt in the subsequent days (was slightly more fatigued than usual but nothing concerning)

Trap Bar Deadlift

70kg x 5

80kg x 5

90kg x 5

100kg x 10

These felt slightly sticky at first but smoothed up by third set. Could have gone a lot heavier but didn't want to push it too far

Back squats

40kg x 10

40kg x 10

40kg x 10

took these extremely easy to get used to squatting pattern again

Banded biceps curls

25kg x 10

25kg x 10

25kg x 10

took these light but they were also just as a check and as something to get me back used to moving

seated good morning with kb

4kg x 10

4kg x 10

4kg x 10

i saw these online a while ago and thought i would start doing them. Felt a nice stretch in my inner thigh area when doing these so will keep them up

Not going to bother listing poundage and time taken for this session or next couple as they are getting back into it sessions

Thursday 5 October

Lifting session

Next 'breaking back in' session

Bench Press

20kg x 5

40kg x 5

50kg x 5

55kg x 5

60kg x 11

Seated overhead barbell press

25kg x 10

25kg x 10

25kg x 10

Triceps banded pushdown

25kg x 10

25kg x 10

25kg x 10

25kg x 10

Called it quits there as needed to get back to the kids - intention was just to keep getting back into it which i think i managed.

Saturday 14 October

Karate Session

Warm up

Usual Warm up for session

Kihon

Worked through standard kihon from kiba-dachi rather than moving which is unusual for us. Then worked through combinations of kicks and strikes as per grading requirements

Kata

Ran through Bassai dai and also went over Kihon Kata and Heian Shodan

Kumite

We practiced footwork for kumite, taking an angle for a yoko geri or mawashi geri - working on not leaving yourself open post kick too. Then did multiple rounds of kumite

Overall good session .First one for a few weeks as feeling a lot better now and i enjoyed it

• 3 weeks later...

Been pretty irregular month with kids being ill etc which has thrown a spanner in the works.

Tuesday 31st October

Lifting Session

Trap Bar Deadlift

70kg x 5

80kg x 5

85kg x 3

97.5kg x 3

110kg x 12

was quite pleased with that as didn't think i would manage as many reps as just getting back into it

Reverse E-Z Bar curl

20kg x 10

20kg x 10

20kg x 10

Abridged session as had to get back for the kids but i wanted to try and get something in! On the plus side, while i will have lost some strength in last few months, it is maybe not as big a drop off as i had feared

Saturday 4 November

Lifting session

Squat

20kg x 5

40kg x 5

60kg x 5

70kg x 3

80kg x 3

90kg x 5

these felt lighter than expected. Always takes me a while to get back into my squatting groove after not having done it for a while so i was pleased

seated overhead press with leg raise superset

30kg x 5

30kg x 5

30kg x 5

30kg x 5

30kg x 10

leg raises

Monday 6 November

BJJ Session

Made it along to bjj session today. First session since i was not well so was good to be back though tough. Adding it in is final layer of adding in 'normal stuff'

Really good class. Was dealing with responding to opponent attempting to stand in closed guard to pass. Worked on either taking k-guard on one side and working for a sweep or fighting for a strong collar grip and breaking posture back down.

Also did a little rolling but will take it easy going forwards. Was trying to really focus on active gripping as i can have a tendency to be a little passive due to my arm length and just 'hang on'. Managed to hit a couple of submissions i wanted to work on (still working cross collar choke and canto chokes) so i was pleased

Tuesday 7 November

Lifting Session

Abridged session but managed to get in main lift

Trap bar deadlift

70kg x 5

80kg x 5

92.5kg x 5

105kg x 3

117.5kg x 8

Happy with these. Lifts went smoothly. Am also gradually increasing the beltless sets. Currently trying to do every set less than 100kg with no belt. Will look to gradually increase that as top set increases

Wednesday 8 November

Karate Session

Warm ups as per usual

Kihon

Didn't do full range of grading kihon but a lot of focus on 'snap' and kime in techniques. Lots of focus on minor details which was good!

Kata

Majority of class focus was on kata. Multiple run throughs of Bassai Dai, working on refining small details. Also a few run throughs of Heian Godan doing the same. Also worked on Heians Shodan, Sandan and Yondan. Ran through Kihon kata a few times too for my sons benefit.

Overall a good class, enjoyed it and a lot of useful focus on details