• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

DarthPenguins Training log of an unfit person!

Tuesday 20 June

Lifting Session

didn't have a huge amount of time today due to kids but also had deadlifts to 'make up' so did a quick session of overhead press and deadlift supersets

Trap Bar Deadlift

70kg x 5

80kg x 5

95kg x 5

110kg x 5

125kg x 5

Seated overhead press

20kg x 5

30kg x 5

35kg x 5

40kg x 5

45kg x 5

Called it there. Got the main lifts out of the way then back to the mini people!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wednesday 21 June

Karate Session

Not many people here tonight - one 3rd dan teaching and one participating, me and two of the kids (one being my 6yr old)

Warm ups

slightly different to usual but was good to mix it up

Kihon

Given some longer combinations to work on and myself and the 3rd dan were left to it mainly so the kids could be focused on - which was fine.

Kata

Went through Bassai-Dai, which i was pleased i have remembered correctly etc. Now to work on the rhythm etc and making it decent! Also did a couple of run throughs of Kihon kata for my son to follow along with

Kumite

We did a few rounds of ippon kumite. Pretty standard and went fine

Thursday 22 June

BJJ Session

Was able to get along to lunchtime session today. Small session with 5 of us plus the instructor.

We were working a pass and cross choke from top half guard. Deep collar grip for both and then either punch fist to floor for the pass or deep grip and go for other collar for the choke - either option depending on opponents reaction.

Drilled these both quite a lot and then had some sparring. Was really pleased as i managed to hit a couple of cross collar chokes from mount, which is something i have been working on a lot, and also managed a de la riva sweep to mount which is something i wanted to try more.

Overall a really positive session :)

Monday 26 June

Karate Session

Warm ups

Similar warm up to usual though with some additional sprints across the hall added in

Kihon

Worked on new grading required kihon. Wasn't doing too great with the first combination adding an uraken in immediately after yoko geri kekomi as i wasn't squaring my shoulders enough post kick to then do the uraken. Worked on it quite a bit at home post session and feels a little more natural now

Kata

Worked on Bassai Dai. Went over it in detail with one of the 3rd Dans who gave me a lot of pointers for little details. Really useful session. He pointed out also that as i am large i should emphasise large motions with it as they look a lot better. He also gave me a nice tip for blading my foot on side kicks - something i always find tough!

Kumite

A few run throughs of jiyu ippon kumite which i am required to do now. Went fine. Feedback of hit harder! 3rd dan pointed out that while i am blocking with plenty of force (i spun someone round with a soto uke) it is obvious i am not going full power (common decency i thought!) and i should go harder as it will be expected in grading. Was slightly surprising feedback as i thought it always made sense to be careful but he said that strikes and blocks are treated differently in that regard and as i go through the grades i am expected to demonstrate that i can use more power

Tuesday 27 June

Lifting Session

Seated Overhead shoulder press

20kg x 5

30kg x 5

35kg x 5

40kg x 5

45kg x 5

35kg x 5

35kg x 5

KB Swing

24kg x 20

24kg x 20

24kg x 20

24kg x 20

24kg x 20

24kg x 20

24kg x 20

kept the session short and sweet as needed to get back to work quickly.

Wednesday 28 June

Karate Session

Small class tonight, 2 instructors and 3 students (one of whom was my 6yr old!) so after warm ups we were split into 2 - myself and the other brown belt with one instructor and the other instructor with my son.

Warm ups

Usual warm ups

Kata

We went straight into kata, working a lot on details. Performing the kata to counts then running through it. Worked through Heian Shodan and Heian Nidan.

Was really useful to go really into detail and pick up minor flaws that don't easily get spotted with a full class

Also ran through Bassai Dai and Tekki Shodan a couple of times each.

Kihon

We then went through grading required kihon to finish the class with a lot of emphasis on the kicks

A really useful class

Tuesday 4 July

Lifting Session

Bench Press

20kg x 5

40kg x 5

55kg x 5

62.5kg x 5

70kg x 5

KB Swings

24kg x 20

24kg x 20

24kg x 20

24kg x 20

24kg x 20

Have had a tonne on in the last week so cut it short there. Wanted to make sure i got the main lift (bench press) in and i have been noticing a good benefit from the kb swings - both conditioning wise and leaning out a little with the greater volume.

Wednesday 5 July

Karate Session

Another quiet session tonight, just myself, another brown belt, my 6yr old and the two instructors. Means i got a semi private really so it was an excellent session for improvement of my technique

Warm ups

Just did our usual warm up

Kihon

Quick run through the grading required kihon plus a few other combinations from freestyle stance

Kata

Majority of the class was spent going through Bassai Dai. Really useful. Instructor broke it down and was really focusing on details. Having two of us that both needed to do it was useful. It is feeling a lot better already from a class going over details.

• 3 weeks later...

Wednesday 12 July

Karate Session

Warm ups

usual warm ups

Kihon

Worked through grading required kihon

Kata

Worked through every heian kata, Tekki Shodan and Bassai Dai at least once

Kumite

Did a drill where myself and one of the black belts stood at opposite ends of the hall and the rest of the class formed up in lines and all took turns attacking one of us then running to the other with a single unannounced attack. We had to stand up against the wall so there was no retreat and defend then counter. Was an interesting drill and i quite enjoyed it!

Tuesday 18 July

Lifting Session

Bench Press

20kg x 5

40kg x 5

47.5kg x 5

55kg x 5

62.5kg x 10

37.5kg x 10

37.5kg x 10

37.5kg x 10

37.5kg x 10

37.5kg x 10

KB Offset squat

(this was one KB in rack position - alternated half reps on left, half on right)

20kg x 10

20kg x 10

20kg x 10

20kg x 10

20kg x 10

KB Clean

24kg x 10

24kg x 10

24kg x 10

Have been feeling not great last few weeks again so have managed less sessions. Found out why as it turns out i have hade a case of the Strep virus as have the kids (one had it manifest as Scarlet Fever which is how we found out!). All seem fine now though :)