• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Isami Karate Gi question

Hi All,

I am going to get a new Gi shortly and was wondering what people thought of Isami gi's for Shotokan? I know they have quite a strong Kyokushin following but it looks like their traditional gi is fine for Shotokan.

I have a few of their BJJ gi's that i picked up in Tokyo a decade ago and i really like them - soft and extremely well made, so i thought i might go for one of their karate ones next.

I did also have a question on the sizing : my BJJ gi's are a size '6' and it looks like they only go up to a size 5 on their website - does anyone know if they do a size 6 in the karate gi's? I saw that all of the gi's are made to order, so if the sizing exists i wouldn't see it being a massive issue.

Failing that is there another brand/gi that people would recommend as a similar alternative quality wise (without getting into the realms of £300!)

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

with Isami/reversal brand, its a hit or miss for me. I have personally ordered street clothing from their site and some items I loved, and some I noticed were made of cheap quality. What makes it worst is their return policy, it is very expensive to ship back to Japan. Make sure you order size up because their sizes run small IMO. Their prices are expensive IMO, and you can prob get better quality products here for lower pricing. Mind you, their products are not made in Japan, almost all the products Ive purchased from them has tags "Made in China" (no offense)

I bought a active pants from them a few months ago and was utterly disappointed because if felt like some cheap fabric you can order from amazon, size also ran small. I actually took the item to a alteration place and the measurements were off compared to what was advertised, to make things worst, shipping back for return was almost the same price as the item so I am now stuck with it.

Meijin gis are popular among advanced students at my dojo. Quality materials, various embroidery options available, and sizes available for certain styles up to 12.

My Journey (So Far)

Shuri-Ryu 1996-1997 - Gokyu

Judo 1996-1997 - Yonkyu

Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan

ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

Thanks for the suggestions!

I have a couple of Isami BJJ gi's already that i have had for years so they came to mind straight away as a decent brand, but if there are others that are better (and sized better too) then i will take a look :)

I have a couple of Isami BJJ gi's already that i have had for years so they came to mind straight away as a decent brand, but if there are others that are better (and sized better too) then i will take a look :)

Honestly if it's a brand you like and are comfortable with already then I would just go with that. Gis can vary so much between manufacturer, so if you've found something that you like then stick with it.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Fuji is my go to BJJ gi, their sekai gi is SOLID

for Shotokan-Ive even had Century gis that have held up through wars hehe

but currently, I use Ki and Shureido

don't get me wrong, I like Isami, they just need to work on their consistency with quality and manufacturing (especially for the price they advertise)

Fuji is my go to BJJ gi, their sekai gi is SOLID

for Shotokan-Ive even had Century gis that have held up through wars hehe

but currently, I use Ki and Shureido

don't get me wrong, I like Isami, they just need to work on their consistency with quality and manufacturing (especially for the price they advertise)

Thanks, that seems like a few votes for Shureido and KI so i think i'll check them both out.

From a quick look at their sites their sizing options look like they might be a bit better anyway - i'm 193cm so the Isami ones might have been a little small.

Thanks for the suggestions :)

Honestly if it's a brand you like and are comfortable with already then I would just go with that. Gis can vary so much between manufacturer, so if you've found something that you like then stick with it.

Yeah that's why i was thinking about their karate gi's. But since i have only ever tried their BJJ ones i was curious if there was a difference in quality for their karate ones etc.

Thanks for the input though :)

Hi All

Failing that is there another brand/gi that people would recommend as a similar alternative quality wise (without getting into the realms of £300!)

Thanks!

Tokaido has long been a standard in Shotokan. Go with the ones made in Japan - there is indeed a difference I can see and feel in the fabric and cut despite what some people will say on the internet.