• Wado Ryu
    • Uechi Ryu
    • Shorin Ryu
    • Ashihara
    • Shito Ryu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I’ve studied a couple of different styles in the past. As of now I’ve been training in Uechi-Ryu for about 3.5 years.

My Journey (So Far)

Shuri-Ryu 1996-1997 - Gokyu

Judo 1996-1997 - Yonkyu

Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan

ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

I voted Shorin-Ryu because that is the core of what I do. The teachings and principles passed onto me by Aragaki Sensei, and my seniors, form the basis of what I teach and practice day to day.

However, in my personal journey, I have incorporated aspects from Goju-Ryu, Uechi-Ryu, and Shito-Ryu into practice through the study of kata. I also have a background in Wado-Ryu, in which I earned a Shodan Grade, and I still use many of the sound principles found in Wado-Ryu through its kumigata.

R. Keith Williams

• 4 weeks later...

I'm shocked to see Shorin-ryu as #1. I expected it to be no higher than 5th place (after Shotokan, Goju-ryu, Wado-ryu, and Shito-ryu). Or even lower, if you counted Tang Soo Do.

History:

Kobayashi Shorin-ryu, 2019 - 2023: Rokkyu

Shotokan, 2023 - Present: Yonkyu

Judo, 2023: Novice

Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, 2023 - Present: White Belt

I'm shocked to see Shorin-ryu as #1. I expected it to be no higher than 5th place (after Shotokan, Goju-ryu, Wado-ryu, and Shito-ryu). Or even lower, if you counted Tang Soo Do.
There is a oddly high density of styles that aren't as represented in the public space here. My guess is that because Shotokan and the like have so many spaces that are usually exclusive to them, they are less inclined to hunt for spaces to share their passion. I've been doing Shorin-Ryu for most of my time as a martial artist, and the amount of people I see in these classes compared to the Shotokan, TSD, and TKD dojos and dojangs I have visited is a huge difference. It's one of the things that I love about this forum. You get to see a lot of smaller (in terms of size) systems being represented here and it creates a wonderful mix of perspective. We love our Shotokan and other more "popular" systems here, but it's also cool to see the variety.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

• 1 month later...