• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Boutique/small class schools/dojos

I am opening dojo in the lower level of my home, after a renovation.

Due to the size and layout, I don’t have a lot of working space so I am limiting to 5 students per class.

I have about 1200-1800sq ft, but really only about 600-800 of that is usable.

Anyone else have to start off like that?

What strategies did you find helpful?

How much did you charge? Did you charge per class, week, month, etc?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I started off in the same sort of space, and I’m still in that sort of space! I prefer running my small classes, allows me to focus on individual needs.

I have managed to fit 6 in, obviously for things like kata, there’s only really enough space for 3 at a time (sometimes more if they are all doing the same kata and moving in the same directions). I tend to pair them up, they take turns doing a kata and offer each other pointers, and I just keep and eye throughout.

Price wise I charge £5 a class :)

Ashley Aldworth

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

I started off in the same sort of space, and I’m still in that sort of space! I prefer running my small classes, allows me to focus on individual needs.

I have managed to fit 6 in, obviously for things like kata, there’s only really enough space for 3 at a time (sometimes more if they are all doing the same kata and moving in the same directions). I tend to pair them up, they take turns doing a kata and offer each other pointers, and I just keep and eye throughout.

Price wise I charge £5 a class :)

I’m going to assume that teaching is not your primary source of income then?

Oh no not at all! Didn't want to put that kind of pressure on my karate and risk it tainting my passion.

What I do works for me. To be honest I would be tempted to teach for free if I could.

Ashley Aldworth

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

Oh no not at all! Didn't want to put that kind of pressure on my karate and risk it tainting my passion.

What I do works for me. To be honest I would be tempted to teach for free if I could.

I totally understand that, but I’m tired of doing jobs I hate.

that equils roughly a 25 x 30 foot area, you could double your class size fairly comfortably and still have room for a couple stand up bags, a couple speed bags, heavy bags and such. you could then set up "station" type drills to go along with the normal day to day teachings / instruction. space management is important, but quality instruction can be given even in small spaces if programs are designed properly.

monthly fees would be my first choice. as that would be easier to transfer to having a commercial space should you later choose to make that move. private lessons could be done on a class by class schedule if someone were to prefer that type setting/commitment.

that equils roughly a 25 x 30 foot area, you could double your class size fairly comfortably and still have room for a couple stand up bags, a couple speed bags, heavy bags and such. you could then set up "station" type drills to go along with the normal day to day teachings / instruction. space management is important, but quality instruction can be given even in small spaces if programs are designed properly.

monthly fees would be my first choice. as that would be easier to transfer to having a commercial space should you later choose to make that move. private lessons could be done on a class by class schedule if someone were to prefer that type setting/commitment.

Unfortunately the area is a very weirdly set up space that minimizes the space available for training

One area is like 17x13, and the other is about 8x6

And that 600-800 ft of space also includes the viewing area for parents

Unfortunately the area is a very weirdly set up space that minimizes the space available for training

ah, my bad, I was thinking you were teaching teens / adults. i wouldnt teach children myself out of a home dojo.... just way too much liability involved on so many levels. in that situation i would rather teach out of a community center / rec dept. or church or community college program.. continuing education programs at community colledges are sometimes a good venue to build up students or start from.

ah, my bad, I was thinking you were teaching teens / adults. i wouldnt teach children myself out of a home dojo.... just way too much liability involved on so many levels. in that situation i would rather teach out of a community center / rec dept. or church or community college program.. continuing education programs at community colledges are sometimes a good venue to build up students or start from.

I’d prefer work with older teens and adults but when you’re literally across the street from an elementary school you do what you need to, to make a living out of it.

I agree with you here. I think its unfortunate that there doesn't seem to be as much adult interest in this kind of training like there used to be, but being a parent myself, I know parents tend to stay busy and don't get a lot of free time, and the time they do get probably doesn't fall at the same time the class schedule does.